Logo

water blowing out heater exchanger

fiaadmin92

Hello,

I own a GM 671 2v for many years fitted on a houseboat, it used to run ok but remain unstarted for several years now. When I wanted to start it few monthes ago it didn't, most injectors where seized.

I get 6 HV7 rebuilt injectors now fitted and try to start the engine, it does, althouth it's not able to run at idle as it stalls, when I increase rpm it keep running but I am feeding from a bottle filled with fuel not the normal tank so may be one reason for stalling at idle, an other reason can be the poor quality of old fuel remaining in the lines.

My main problem is that I have water blowing out from the heater exchanger and it seems some smoke is escaping from the heat exchanger, this happens after 30 or 60 seconds running engine - and I do not understand because as the engine is cold coolant should not go throught the heat exchanger ? the raw water is closed so no leak from the core,

can it be a leak between air box and coolant, any clue to see where to look ? althought before such mishappening after starting the engine for 1st times, the coolant level in the heater remain at the same level few weeks so I have a doubt about a leak; can it be kind of backfire between coolant going around the engine while cold and the heater exchanger ?

(I didn't manage yet to set clearance on valves and injectors and run with the settings of the old units.)

Well many questions without answer and looking for some ideas to sort this problem, I fell a little bit alone hera as french mechanics are not very honest/experienced/willing when it is question about old units as this GM671. They prefer plug and electronic diagnostic unit and do what the computer says.

Thank you for reading I am looking for your help,

Regards, @Fred.

Have you replaced fuel filters, then prime fuel system with new fuel, pump thr entell fuel comes out return line.
Water and smoke out heat excanhger is probley from a leaking head gasket or a cracked cyl head.you should remove air box covers and look at liners and piston.

thank you marv for those first headings, I have ordered new filters and the shop manual so waiting it to go further. At first glance nothing special behind the air box covers (exhaust side), blower side is more difficult to inspect :) - I wonder if I can have a leak trought the water pump drive shaft as it seems common with the blower shaft ?

Regards, @Fred

Back