Logo

Suzuki 140 4 stroke Propeller

west500

Checking to see if excessive movement of the propeller on shaft is normal. Mine has approximately 1" movement. I have a 1995 88 Johnson and their very little movement in the propeller.
Thanks in advance.

I have a DF 140 with a new Suzuki prop, and there is no movement of the prop. However I have heard of some props that are supposed to slide rearward when reverse is ingaged so exhaust will exit between the prop and the gearcase, giving the prop better bite than if the exhaust was forced to go thru the prop. So it may depend on the type prop you have.

I have a DF 140 with a new Suzuki prop, and there is no movement of the prop. However I have heard of some props that are supposed to slide rearward when reverse is ingaged so exhaust will exit between the prop and the gearcase, giving the prop better bite than if the exhaust was forced to go thru the prop. So it may depend on the type prop you have.

Thanks, for the reply. Do you have any grinding when you put your motor in forward/ reverse? I have some minor grinding when I put into gear.
Thanks again,

Outboards shift differently than a car. Outboards have all the gears meshing all the time. When you shift, dogs on a collar catch with the dogs on the gear. You should shift firmly and fairly quickly. If you do it correctly you will just hear a small clunk as the dogs engage. If you hear multiple clunks or grinding, you are shifting too slowly and you can round off the corners of the dogs, which can cause problems.

Back