Logo

Older 2-strokes, cylinder head "salt weep"

HalfScoop

How many of you Yamaha outboard owners have seen this along the cylinder head gasket? I've heard it referred to as 'weeping salt' or 'salt creep'.

One site said it is a sign of bad things happening inside the block, another said it is normal. I'm curious how many have it and if it is indeed normal or a sign of problems soon to come.

My 1997 has it alongside 2 or 4 of the cylinders. 560 hours on it.

I have a 1991 model that came from a salt water environment (hung as a kicker about 15 years when I got the motor) and had it on just about every cover that bolts anywhere on the powerhead.

I removed all the covers 4 or 5 years back and there was some build-up on the exhaust ports and water channels/jackets which was easily removed with a 50/50 vinegar/water solution (commercial product "salt away" does the same thing for about 100 times the cost of vinegar).

So my answer is "maybe" is an indication of bad things internally. If the motor was consistently flushed, the guts should be fine and the (surface salt) may just be from the environment.

If the motor has been neglected, the inside might look far worse.

For the cost of a couple gaskets why not pull the heads and take a look in the water jacket/channels for yourself...

I use Saltaway as its very concentrated,one cup full in a 73lires plastic drum,does quite a few runs/soaks of my outboards.I agree with Galamb,in that removal of the plates/cylinder heads and a clean out,will prevent all sorts of overheating problems in the future.I was shocked to discover just how much salt buildup was in the water galleries of my 97 5hp yamaha [no cylinder head] after doing the impellor.Since Id hardly used it in the sea,must have been in there when I bought it.The Saltaway turned most of the salt into jelly which flushed out [with the covers off] reasonably easy.I also remove all bolts,[on all my outboards and sterndrives] one by one,and clean the threads and then grease them and refit,so later on they come out,if needed,so it depends on if you can get the bolts out to remove the heads and plates.if you cant,just keep flushing the motor.Just rember my tip about using a rollpin tapped into the hole in the casting,if you snap a bolt off.it centralizes the pilot drill,as the pin is hardened.does a good job

There is no " paint " on the joint surfaces !!--------so this white aluminum oxide ( corrosion ) is normal.------See it on many fresh water motors as well.

Back