Logo

Yamaha 90TLRQ running very slow, HELP!!

sloan

Hi there, I've got a Yamaha 90HP 90TLRQ 3 cyl.
I used to get 60 mph out of her, but now mostly between 8 to 11 mph, most of the time.
When I first go out on the water, she seems to work pretty good, achieving around 43 to 46 mph. After the engine has run for awhile, she just slows right down to the 8 to 11 mph, usually for the rest of the outing.
Looking at the new spark plugs I installed, the #2 cylinder's plug is clean as a whistle, while the number 1 and 3 plugs are already soaked black with oil.
I have a feeling that it's something electrical? but not sure how to troubleshoot this at all. I also notice that when the engine is running at only 10 mph flat out, she's using a lot of gas, more so than if it were working properly. The engine's been mint since I got it, until this past year. If anybody can help me in either how I could troubleshoot it, or what exactly needs to be replaced, I would be greatly appreciative!
I don't believe taking it to the Marina would help much, because when they go to start it, it will run fine.
The odd time, while trekking along full throttle at 10 mph, without warning she'll kick in and just take right off at full speed, mind you, this is rarely occurring these days as it used to.
Hopefully theres a Yamaha expert who sees this question and know exactly what it is.. Thanks so much for helping friends.

Chad

hey chad i have a 115ETLG that is doing the same thing, I have tried changing plugs, varying the gap, cleaning the carbs, swaping coils, checking compression, all seem to check out. Good spark in all holes led me to believe it was fuel related when the problem cylinder did not follow the coil swap. ive cleaned oil injector tubing, and fuel line, filters. Still have the problem. if you figure it out e me or post. will do the same good luck.

My brother-inlaw had the saw problem with his 90. One clean plug and no power.

After we rebuilt the carbs it ran like a champ. If you don't want to do all the carbs, I would start with the #2 carb.

Chad,
you said cylinder #2 was cleaned? take spark plug from cylinder #1 swap with the # 2, and run the motor for about 15 minutes, if the spark plug from cylinder #2 clean , and 1 & 3 dirty, that mean your motor is blown the head gasket. try to swap the spark plug than let me known what happen.
Liem

Chad,
you said cylinder #2 was cleaned? take spark plug from cylinder #1 swap with the # 2, and run the motor for about 15 minutes, if the spark plug from cylinder #2 clean , and 1 & 3 dirty, that mean your motor is blown the head gasket. try to swap the spark plug than let me known what happen.
Liem

Thanks for the tip Liem!

If the head gasket was blown, then I would never reach 40+ mph, am I right?

It seems when she's cold there's no problem, it occurs and drops down to 8 - 10 mph after it's ran awhile and got warm.

My brother-inlaw had the saw problem with his 90. One clean plug and no power.

After we rebuilt the carbs it ran like a champ. If you don't want to do all the carbs, I would start with the #2 carb.

But was your brother inlaws problem intermittent like mine?

It's not always running slow, just when it gets warm it seems.

Thanks for the tip Liem!

If the head gasket was blown, then I would never reach 40+ mph, am I right?

It seems when she's cold there's no problem, it occurs and drops down to 8 - 10 mph after it's ran awhile and got warm.

I think when you start to run the motor the water not yet get to the cylinder after you run the motor awhile then it will happen.

the gasket blown you still get 40+ mph until the water get into the cylinder. than you run only 2 cylinders, right? that why you can get 8-10 miles/hr.

Run a compression check on each cylinder,they should be at least 100 psi and within 15 psi of each other.That will tell ya if it is a bad head gasket or ring problem.

Run a compression check on each cylinder,they should be at least 100 psi and within 15 psi of each other.That will tell ya if it is a bad head gasket or ring problem.
I apologize a compression test won't tell if the head gasket is bad.Have to do a leak down test to find out if headgaskets bad.Compression test only for rings on a outboard motor.sorry for giving wrong info.

Back