Logo

boat spins left when put in forward.new prop&STERNDRIVE

hagar

Have bran new prop on a omc out drive! When put in gear the boat just spins to the left even when turning wheel to the right! Out drive is electric, the steering is cable, i am perplexed. Please help

More academic than what you actually need to know, but what does it do in reverse? Is the out drive turning, so the lower unit is moving causing the left turn, or is it a torque turn? Got my attention, wish I could see it frist hand...just don't make sense. But many things, these days don't. Please let us know what you learn.

BobT

every thing works fine! except when boat put in forward in the water theboat spins left even when steering wheel turn to right! every thing has been checked &double checked. some one thinks its the prop but prop is bran new 14x16 that 3 diffrent sources say is right prop!

reverse does not seem to be affected ! and wheel turns left and right but boat in water only goes left in a spin , a tight spin. out drive works fine its like there is no steering after u put it in gear/forward, but when some one watchs from back of boat the damn stern drive is turningleft and right

Hagar,
You must have a bunch of slack in your steering cables, or the torque is overriding, what ever sterring cable tension springs you have. When in neutral, does the out drive turn properly, left & right, does it hit the stops on both sides? Can you hit the stop and add more turn of the sterring wheel? I'd bet, you have a steering cable problem and the prop torque is over ridding whatever slack in the cables.

Just my 2 cents worth. Still very interesting,
BobT

out drive turns full left&right in and out of water! wheel seems to stop the drive! is not loose, the boat has true course steering and acts appropriately while sitting in driveway. (ha,ha) but once in water & in forward gear thats when steering is not responding! we just spin! but thank you for in sight! i am working next three night but next week i will be scrutinizing the steering thanks again! bobt& hystat

Hagar,
Ever figure out your steering problem...I've been checking here every day to learn what you found out. Been here so long, I'm now Haggared. Ha!
BobT

:eek:up date!! the stern drive is old! it used thru transom type steering, it does not match up with my tru coarse.i found a kit that replaces the outdated thru hull steeering but my boat does not hav. ( clam shells) that went through transom to allow cable to hook up to sterndrive. i also in several hrs of being on line have not found any one who has clam shells
icon13.gif

Back