Logo

gas line won't stay on fuel body connection 1975 15hp

dawnfogg

Contributing Member
Have a '75 15hp pull start. My gas line won't stay attached to the motor fuel connector. Gas will flow but the fuel line won't latch- little pull and it comes right off. the connector is brand new and will attach to the connector on the fule tank. Is there something i can do to make the fuel line latch, or should I replace the assembly?

Re: gas line won't stay on fuel body connection

If you are talking about female plastic connector to male metal fitting on motor some after market fittings do not hook. I don't know why. I had same problem and tried different brand,which worked. Mine would also hook to other fittings but would pull off from motor fitting. Sorry can't remember brand that worked.

That connector has a stainlss steel sleeve inside of the plastic guide hole. The sleeve has a habit of moving slightly at times in the direction of the engine. This will prevent the spring loaded hook latch from grabbing onto the locking groove.

If this is the case, simply use the side of a screwdriver to slide the sleeve back where it belongs (flush with the plastic face). Let us know what you find.

Thanks all. The connector is after market- bought at walmart, I believe. Will check out the sleeve inside the connector. May just add a new connector to my next parts buy...which continues to grow.

Can't beat the price of the Walmart connectors. That's where I buy mine. I have never had an issue with them.

I am going to remove the male end from the motor housing and see if it "locks" with the fuel line. If it does, then I suspect a build up of paint or the motor housing itself might be the problem.

Back