Logo

1989 Johnson GT 150hp VRO

Re: 1989 Johnson GT 150 VRO

My motor will only run if I keep hitting the choke button every 5 seconds or so. I by-passed the VRO and pretty sure the fuel pump side is ok. I found a post (Problem with Johnson 150) asking about the same question and they said to try cleaning the carbs, which I'm trying tomorrow. I bought this boat and motor knowing the rectifier was fried, (replaced) and not knowing any history on it. It might be more trouble than it's worth. I'm retiring next week and gonna need something to do :eek: Thanks

Cleaning the carbs did'nt help. All the jets are clean. It still won't run unless I keep hitting the choke button. Is there a vacuum test I can do on the fuel pump to check it? Thanks

I then assume that you didn't find the proper answer.....

Remove the front bottom screw from the float chambers to make sure that fuel has entered those chambers. If fuel is present, possibly you did not manually clean the high speed jets with a piece of single strand steel wire? Make sure that they're clean as fuel must pass thru them before gaining access to any other fuel passageway.

I would like to know what you did. It sounds like my problem. I have narrowed mine down to the fuel pump or a stopped up fuel line inside the tank (i think). Please let me know what you came up with. I'm gonna try the fuel line tomorrow. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Last edited:

Joe if your talking the 2 screws on either side of the float bowl, there's jets in there, I made sure they was'nt plugged with a wire, then carb cleaner. then blew them out with air. My prime ball won't stay hard (new)
it don't help pumping it to keep it running, hitting the choke will. The float levels don't look the same dropping down, but do when you close them. Setting them from the manual does'nt make since to me, it talks about the bowl, the floats are'nt in the bowl, maybe I'm missing something, need to read again. Thanks

Bubba, mine is doing the same. I just got a call back from someone who really knows what he's talking about. He is saying that the fuel line may be stopped up. If you read my post you will see what all I have done. He has told me to clean the line in the fuel tank out. Mine started after I ran low on fuel. Which probably sucked trash in the line stopping the filter up in the tank. I'll keep you posted on mine. Please keep me posted on yours.

Bamafan, I pulled the line outta mine, could'nt be any cleaner. The check valve seems to be working, if I take the line off at the filter and squeeze the prime ball it seems to be getting plenty of fuel. The fllter is'nt plugged, I'm sure of that, but thats my next step a new filter. If it is'nt that then I gonna think about rebuild the pump :mad: ($140) unless someone can tell me where to a kit for just the fuel side. Let you know what happens with filter.

Now I'm wondering what the small blue and silver little check valve looking thing that is coming of the left front of the block that the fuel pump hooks too, I know it's vacuum to the pump, Is it a check valve, should it be open both ways?

That's a flame arrestor to prevent hot stuff in the crankcase from reaching the VRO pump. Air will pass thru it both ways BUT a sudden strong pulse will not.

Have another question. On my remote control (throttle) there's this little button the owners manual refers to as a Emergency cutoff switch. That the button I keep hitting to keep it running, I thought it was the choke, but now I'm wondering because I see post where it says push the key in for choke. I'm feeling really stupid here, is it possible that little switch is bad and when I push it it resets for a few seconds?

:D Thats what is was, that switch is bad, I cut it out of the line and it runs like a champ. Is that button switch supose to stay in all the time?

Bubba You can buy a locking key for that switch to keep it compressed. You will be able to teather it to your life vest so if you get thrown the motor will stop. Most states have a law where that must be working. Yes your choke os in they key. You push the key to engage the choke.

FYI When you winterize your boat make sure all gas is out of it. Ethanol is killing these rubber lines, and rubber parts in the VRO. If you can find some gas without ethanol put that back in so nothing will dry out.

Thanks for the heads up Bamafan, hope you figure yours out. One more question, when I got this boat everything electrical was off the motor and in a box. There was condenser like goes on a lawn mower ect. that I have no idea where it went even if it did, it mighta just got thrown in the box. Anyone have any idea if it goes on the motor somewhere? Thanks

Back