Logo

In-Line Fuel Filter Question

chemrat22

New Look to the Boards since I was last here, but anyway I made it back. Now for my questions. I think I should put an in-line fuel filter between my fuel tank and engine ( primer bulb type on a 1970 9.5 Johnson ), but would a regular Fram automobile fuel filter be alright or does a regular automotive fuel filter clog or otherwise not function properly due to the oil/fuel mixture? Also, if I use one, should it go between the tank and bulb, or between the bulb and engine? I seem to be having fuel issues on this little engine and I cant seem to work them out. The engine acts like it's starving for fuel. I pour a little directly into the carb and it cranks, but dies right off. If I try and pump it into the carb via primer bulb, it doesn't crank or even hit like it wants to crank. I follow the lines and there's fuel all the way up to the carb inlet. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

You're describing a engine with fouled carburetors. time to remove, clean, and rebuild them.

Best to stick with a water/fuel seperator filter setup. It should be placed between the primer bulb and the engine.

Back