Logo

Bleeding instructions for OMC Fast Trak

I need to know how to bleed the tilt n trim system. I just replaced the TNT motor but it's still not working when trying to tilt or trim the motor. Help please anyone!!! I have a tournament this weekend too!!! Aargh!!! System I have is 2000 OMC Fast Trak tilt and trim. Thanks ahead.

The unit is self bleeding, but the following does happen occasionally.

(PTT Oil Pump Air Lock)
(J. Reeves)

When the PTT unit is as it should be, the electric motor runs, the manual release valve is closed, the unit is full of lubricant, and nothing works, the usual problem is an air lock under the oil pump Proceed with the following.

Engine in full tilt position. Remove reservoir fill plug screw. Insert a air nozzle up against the reservoir fill hole with rags (or something) packed around it to obtain a tight fit. Apply just a slight amount of pressurized air (10 psi resommended) to the reservoir. This will force the oil under the oil pump to remove the air lock. DO NOT go crazy with the air pressure (15 psi tops!).

I finally got it to work!!! I didn't try the above method...instead I tried bleeding it again and again hoping it would fix my problem, and it did! After wasting $113 to diagnose the problem at a shop, they told me it was an open valve that wouldn't shut close. They told me I might have to buy a whole new PTT unit to fix it. They also said on the diagnostic report that they bled the system....Obviously not! I told them that I'll take it home and wait for their repair estimate and I'll bring it back if I decide on repairs. I got home with the boat and called up a buddy of mine to help me with the fix. Finally after 1.5 hours we got it to lift up on its own. Below was our process in the bleeding of the system.

Tools and product:
-Flathead screwdriver to open the reservoir cap
-At least 2-3 tubes of recommended hydraulic fluid
-Lower unit oil manual pump (This is what pumps the oil into your lower unit)
-Car jack
-A friend to help
-A case of beer or whatever you prefer...

Process:
Since the PTT wasn't moving up at all on its own. We opened the manual release valve and jacked up the motor with our car jack by placing the jack under the cone of the lower unit. We used a piece of 2x4 to protect the lower unit from the jack. We jacked the motor high enough to use the safety arms or braces on the motor so we wouldn't have to use the jack any longer. Now we opened the reservoir cap with the screwdriver and left it open for the rest of the process until it totally bled out and had enough fluid to operate on its own. After we opened the cap we simply pressed and held the trim up button while the other person pumped in fluid. We did this intermittently until fluid came out of the reservoir fill hole. Its important that you don't hold down the button for too long as you can burn out the motor by doing this. The longest I would hold the button down for is 2-3 minutes and let the motor rest for about 20 seconds before repeating. We repeated this process at least for 1.5 hours before we got the motor moving up by its own and actually holding its position. Because before you get it totally bled and full the motor may go up, but it'll trim down on its own slowly. So, just make sure that you can trim up with the PTT system holding its position. Thats it man!!! We're back in business!!!!

Hope this helps somebody who has the same symptoms as I did. Thanks!

Last edited:
And of course the shop that didn't know how to fix it gave you a refund?

Thats the thing should I get my refund? I took it to them to only run diagnostics on it and they said they did but they came up with a bad valve or a new unit replacement. They said they bled it but they must've not.

I was seriously thinking of asking for it. Should I? Or, better yet am I in a good position to ask? Thanks Joe.

It depends if you're on really good terms with them (friends), or if you're simply just "another" customer. Also take into consideration..... are there any other local shops that do Evinrude/Johnson outboard work or is this the only one. You'll need work again as some time or another.

Their comeback would be that you possibly replaced the bad valve.

It depends if you're on really good terms with them (friends), or if you're simply just "another" customer. Also take into consideration..... are there any other local shops that do Evinrude/Johnson outboard work or is this the only one. You'll need work again as some time or another.

Their comeback would be that you possibly replaced the bad valve.

No they're not the only Evinrude service and I am just another customer. Are you saying I would have to get it worked on by another shop in order for me to get my refund from this one?

Back