Logo

1983 johnson 75hp won't run WOT

coffeeman37

Anyone have an idea on why my 1983 75 hp johnson will not run at wide open throttle. I just had #3 Carb replaced and #1 and 2 cleaned and kitted, replaced plugs and the fuel pump. It idles and it will run at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle but when I go full throttle the engine will run for a minute or two then it will start to die. I noticed if I squeeze the bulb while at full throttle and continue to pump the bulb it will run at full speed but as soon as I stop, it will die. It seems like it is starving for fuel at full throttle. Any suggestions on where to start diagnosing the problem are appreciated.

Re: 83 johnson 75hp won't run WOT

If the fuel primer bulb does not collapse when this happens, and the engine runs normally as long as you pump the fuel primer bulb, that indicates as Hydrohellion above states...... a failing fuel pump. It could also indicate a air/fuel leak between the pump and the fuel supply.

Hydro and Joe,
Thanks for the info. I checked the fuel pump and it has a small leak at the top screw location. the fuel is leaking, what looks like, thru the threads of the screw when I apply pressure to the bulb. I am taking it back to the mechanic as he is the one that replaced the pump to begin with. thanks again and I'll hope that is my only problem.

had the fuel pump replaced and the problem described above continues. It seems like the bowl is not filling properly which leads me to think it is the needle jet is not adjusted properly or the needle valve is not opening all the way to fill the bowl. Any thoughts if I am heading in the right direction or should I look at something else.

Back