Logo

1989 200hp 200 xp

hydrohellion

Hi, I am looking at getting an evinrude 200XP with a blown power head. the rod went through the side of the block, and it is missing a head.

Just wondering where to get the parts i need to build this up and if it is really worth fixing it.

Is it possible to weld the block and sleeve the piston??

I am a student on a budget but am very mechanically inclined. I have access to a full machine shop and know how to use all the machines including cnc and wire edm machines.

I have a lot of experience with motorcycles and 2 strokes, but have never done a boat motor before (other than RC) any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Kev

Re: 1989 200 xp

If you're obtaining the engine for zero dollars, you've nothing to lose by tearing the powerhead down to figure out exactly what you're up against. If there's a price involved, I suggest you avoid it. Parts are available at dealerships, eBay, many outboard shops, etc.

Re: 1989 200 xp

Thanks, I am getting the motor on trade for a 1971 merc 1350 inline 6 without power trim, that runs but the lower needs rebuilding.

I figured the xp would be better than that motor to do anything with as at least when i am done it is worth something and has decent power.

What do you think?

Back