Logo

50hp or 40hp

mixd

Contributing Member
last year i purchased a 50hp evinrude lark outboard.The cover said 50hp,and the id plate identified it as a model number 50308.I looked it up and found that it was a '73,50hp motor.Last month i offered this motor up for trade and was told by a professional mechanic that my motor was in fact a '63,40hp.His reasoning was that in the picture i provided on line,my motor has only one carburator.Is this correct?Are there any of these motors that would have just one carburator?

There is no model number of 50308. There is one listed as 50303. This is a 1973 50hp model which has dual carburetors.

There is also a model number 40303 which is a 1963 40hp model.

Bottom line.... If your engine only has one carburetor, it is deffinitely not a 50hp model. Double check that model number, on the identification plate and also on the core plug on the powerhead..... core plug looks like a quarter size freeze out plug.

Thanks for the info.I wouldnt want to pass this situation on to someone else.I just can't believe someone would go to so much trouble to pass off a '63-40hp as a '73-50hp.A shame really,it runs real well.Perhaps i will put it on that old hull i have sitting in the back yard.

Back