Logo

adding controls to a 1955 7.5hp evinrude

irishwoodsman

Regular Contributor
can someone tell me if i can add forward controls to the older evinrudes and what i need the carrying handle has holes in it for i think the old rope steering but i would prefer cable and i have holes in shifter lever for a cable and a bracket on the gas throttle for a cable, i bought a aluminum console center type for my boat and looking for the parts i need any help would be great

Re: adding controls to a 1955 7.5 evinrude

You will need several items. The Simplex control box with cables and ends for the cables that fit into the shift lever
Javelin0017.jpg
and the throttle bracket
Javelin0016.jpg
on the motor. You will need a bracket that mounts on each side of the cowling to hold the cable adjusters in place.
Javelin0013.jpg
If by cable steering you are referring to a drum style steering wheel with a cable that runs to the motor then the bracket that mounts in the hole in the carrying handle with the pulleys for the steering cable.
RDE19M0007.jpg
If your boat doesn't have the drum steering with cable and pulleys for turning corners and the springs for keeping tension on the system then you will need all that also. Evinrude, Johnson and Gale all put their own labels on the control box but every thing is the same.

Back