Logo

1996, 88hp Johnson 88 SPL

oophio

I have a new to me boat and it came with a Johnson 88 SPL 2-cycle Motor

The boats tank was half full of very old gas and the motor would not start, I removed 25 gallons of what I estimate to be 30-35 gallons and add 20 gallons of 91 octane gas

The motor started right up Yay :)

The pee holes produce water as does the exhaust, I think we are doing good so far -

Well I have never heard a motor this size before, it sounds pretty good and will rev up ok but it sounds like it is missing.

Gould this be the plugs (well aside from tainted gas in the system)

What should be my next step that I can do my self, at the moment I am a bit boat poor

How can I find my motor specific post (if any)

Thank you

Jim

Re: 96, Johnson 88 SPL

In neutral OR in gear if running on a flushette, do not rev the engine beyound 1800 rpm as you'll be chancing a runaway engine.... engine would continue to increase rpms even with the throttle closed, quite dangerous. The miss you hear may be approaching that point.

Check the gearlube, fill from the bottom drain plug if needed. Fill until the lube overflows at the top oil level screw plug. Use what is called HiVis 80/90w gearlube, avilable no doubt on this site, your dealership, Marine stores, Wal*Mart, K-Mart, etc.

Spark plugs should be Champion QL77JC4 plugs gapped at .030 .

Try the engine out in the water.... you may be luckly. If there is any hesitation when applying throttle OR if the engine has a tendency to die out, the carburetors are most likely to be the cause..... fouled due to sitting. If so, it will be required to have them removed, cleaned, and rebuild.

Re: 96, Johnson 88 SPL

Sorry.... I wasn't thinking about your engine being a 1996 model when I quoted the s/plug designation. I'll leave that plug designation to another member as I retired in 1991 and haven't kept up with the plug changes.

Back