Logo

Volvo KAD44EDC

eggagent

Hi, This is my first post, I am looking at buying a 2001 sportsfishing boat powered with 2 x Volvo KADEDC's with approx 940hrs. At the viewing the broker would not take a sea trial and only run the engines at the dock.
Understand these engines are both super and turbo charged. At idle these engines are noisy and rattle a lot. The broker ran up the engines to 1500 rpm and this dissappeared. He says it is caused by the supercharger? Further there is oil on the engine chassis at the back end. Again the broker says it is from a breather. I have no experience of these engines and would ask your help on this. Are above statements true. Understand the tappets have to be adjusted every 200hrs. What problems can I expect from these engines of this age. They are said to be good for 10,000 hrs if looked after. All comments appreciated.

I would be very careful when salesman doesnt want to take vessel out for sea trial. I am certain you are ready to spend considerable amount of money on the boat, in return you deserve to know everything about the vessel and motors..... and you absolutely have to be certain the engines can obtain maximum rated RPM at full throttle. It is possible that dealer is trying to hide some flaws or problems. I would look for another boat where I can take it out and run it, to see what the hell am I buying. Oily engine shows lack of care, even if it was from the breather nobody bothered to wipe it off. What else they didn't bother to fix or clean up???

Last edited:
Was first inspection without sending surveyor. Would like to know about mentioned items in my first mail. The broker has a system that you have to offer first and if it is accepted you get a sea trial and all is subject to this and survey. All info/advise appreciated.

It takes a trained ear to understand what the various sounds mean from a diesel. Gas engines are always much more quiet and any sounds out of the norm can be easily isolated and even compared to you car engine sounds.
Diesels have a different beat that can be a minor valve adjustment to a bad bearing. Injectors make similar sounds if off a bit. You will drive yourself crazy trying to figure this out for yourself. A mechanic may have to dissasemble or test with special equipment... all very expensive and possibly detremental to the existing "good setup" that may exists now. I think a sea trial and a good set of dash guages are your best indicator of health. BUT you still have to know what to look for , so I advise a trained Penta Diesel mechanic perform the trial when you get down to the short strokes. A surveyer usually limits inspections to hull and electric,fuel storage, and delivery, etc problems.

Back