Logo

Evinrude Fix 1968 6hp

David1

I have a 1968 6 Hp (6802R)

I do indeed have a manual, Problem lays in one of the past owner(s) Some of my pages have coffee, pee or something on about 1/3 of my book. I cant make out the pictures and words where it is.
All I need is to know how to reattach the pull string? Could anyone explain this ?

Re: Evinrude Fix

(Manual Starter Cord Installation)
(This pertains to the vertical type of Manual Starters such as the 9.5hp and later 4.5/6/8hp models etc)
(J. Reeves)
1 - Have a pair of vice grips handy set so that they will grab the top of the starter spindle tightly but will not damage it.
2 - Using a large screwdriver inserted into the top of the starter spindle, wind the starter in a counter clockwise direction 12 to 14 turns, stopping so that the cord locking slot is facing the away from the engine.
3 - Lock the spindle in that position with the vice grips, letting the vice grips lay against the flywheel.
4 - Insert the cord as needed and make sure it is retained properly at that slot.
5 - Feed the cord out the starter cord hole at the front of the engine and attach the handle.
6 - Grip the cord tightly so that the spindle cannot spin around rapidly, then release the vice grips.
7 - Allow the cord to be withdrawn slowly around the spindle.

Thank you for your help. Is that from the book? I thought there was more then that to it!
We all need a little humor with everything going on....

joe,
Thanks I may try this. Do you know what the book says? I was hoping to have the books instruction's so I can print it out to place in my book? I really dont want to buy a new book!
Thank you again for helping.. Anyone know?

Back