Logo

Impeller change

nirrozero

Cant get lower end off, I have schematics, took gear oil out slightly milky, but pretty normal for 5 years.

I took the 4 bolts off 2 left and 2 right

and found one long one in the back just above the propeller.

its a 115 OMC v4 2 stroke

C/P :

The shift rod is attached under the bottom carb. Depending on what year your motor is depends on how it is removed.
Look on the port side of the motor at the top of the shift rod. If there is a screw/bolt going in from the side then you remove the screw and the shift shaft will dis-attach.
If there is not a screw/bolt then look on the starboard side of the motor. Follow the shift linkage and see if there is a retaining pin just to the right of the carb. It will be on the shift linkage going under the carb. If so pull this pin out. Push the shift linkage towards the carb, It will move about 1/2". While pushing, push the linkage backwards. The linkage should disengage from the shift shaft. Now you can remove the lower unit. Assembly is the reverse.
This is from older model,but can help:

I hope its not this one little nut under my carb, no tool can reach that T>T
ok if someone will please send me a link to the repair manual I will buy it. I can't find my freaking engine.

I have threads under my name with the serial numbers and model numbers but they dont bring anything up.

please please please

Last edited:
On most the linkage is held by a pin-bolt. I find that a 1/4" drive socket set with a long extension and a universal joint snapped on the socket works best. I think the bolt takes a 3/8" socket?

its a 1983,
I got it, yes it was a 3/8ths socket, had a loooong extention. hardest part later was getting it back into the shaft and between the shifter.
thanks for the info guys =)

Yeh, that bolt can give one a fit at times. I use a long 1/4" drive extension with a 1/4" drive 3/8" universal flex socket.

To install, I use a mechanic's flexible finger grab tool.... the kind where four fingers extend when the button on the end is pushed in which grab anything when the button is released. Seems to be the best way to put that shoulder bolt back in.

Back