Logo

evinrude with merc controls HELP 1991 115hp

emtmike

Ok I have an EVINRUDE 1991 TE115TLEIE, the boat is a 1991 Nitro 118/F/S, and I am having some problems. Went to put it in the water yesterday and the controls seemed to have fallen apart. The handle wouldn't move. I took the electrical switch panel, that is next to the controls, off and it had indeed come apart. It seems the PO did some work on it and didn't feel the need to use all the hardware the came off it back on to put it back together. I did the best I could to put it back together but I am not sure its right. The throttle seems to work as it should but it will not go into forward. It will go into reverse. I know I do need to do some adjustments but I want to know first if I have put it back together right. I cant find anything on the net and was wondering if you all could help. The only thing on the controls are Tracker Pro Merc. Help Please:confused:

Re: evinrude with merc controls HELP

Not my line of expertise, just a thought.

Perhaps it would be better to have a duplicate post in the Mercury forum?

OK It seems like my miss matched controls were put back together right but the boat still will not go inti forward gear and stay there. As soon as I give it some gas it jumps out oif gear. I think I may have bent the shift rod. How hard is it to get into the gear case and repair or replaced that?

Very unlikely the shift rod is bent..... hard to do that on purpose.

Have you disconnected the shift & throttle controls at the engine and tried to shift the engine by hand via the engine's shift linkage? If not, do so.

If the shift problem still exists after trying the above, I'd suspect that the lower unit has been off and someone has turned the shift rod which changes the length of it. The measurement (IN NEUTRAL) from the top surface of the lower unit to the center of the shift rod hole is critical.

I don't have the book with this measurment but someone will jump in here with that info I'm sure. Let us know what you find.

I guess I should have told the whole story. The guy I got the boat from did all his work himself. He seemed to always had some parts left over when he was done. I have had the boat for about a year with no problems. Last week I put the boat in the water and backed it off the trailer. When I put the boat in forward the entire control box seemed to fall apart. I took it apart and am quite sure I put it back together the right way. Now when I try to put the boat in forward it will just about go but then it kicks back out to neutral. It would go into reverse. I tried to adjust the cables and no go. I disconnected the cable from the shifting linkage right in the engine and it did the same thing so I am guessing its not the controls. Is the shifting rob something I can adjust without dropping the gear case? If I do indeed need to drop the gear case is this something I should try to do myself. I am good with stuff like this and have the tools I need unless there are special tools I may need. I guess the other question I should ask is what else could it be? HELP!!!

Last edited:

If by holding the shift linkage at the engine in forward gear, it still jumps out of gear, then either the shift rod is adjusted wrong OR there's a problem with the lower unit. In either case, the lower unit would need to come off.

Hopefully someone will jump in here with the proper shift rod measurement for that 1991 115hp Evinrude model.

From my previous reply = "If the shift problem still exists after trying the above, I'd suspect that the lower unit has been off and someone has turned the shift rod which changes the length of it. The measurement (IN NEUTRAL) from the top surface of the lower unit to the center of the shift rod hole is critical."

Back