Logo

1993 Ocean Pro 225hp Powerhead Removal

smitair17

Contributing Member
Need to take the powerhead off to fix the upper mount. There are two sets of bolts and I am confused of which to take off. There is a set which is shorter and are at the top of the exhaust housing, right above the rubber seal, and there is a set which are a little longer which also look like they go from the exhaust housing to the powerhead.

It looks like if I take the longer ones out, part of the exhaust housing will remain attached to the powerhead, I am confused of which set comes out.

Re: 1993 Ocean Pro 225 Powerhead Removal

I will answer your question, even if no one else will.

The shorter group bolts you refer to are at the level of the powerhead to exhaust adapter joint, and there are (I think) 13 of them. Four up front, which are two bolts and two studs with nuts. Then there are three along both sides, as you say, near the rubber seal. Then a bolt on each rear corner and a center stud with nut in the very back. I am pretty sure that cover this group of bolts. It is easy to miss the four up front. Gotta take all those out.

Then, about 8 inches lower, along the side of the exhaust housing, there are three very long bolts on each side that extend up into the powerhead base. They are 9/16" heads.

Gotta take those out too.

Remove the lower cowling to gain access to the shift rod retainer bolt, remove it.

Look at the rear of the block where it meets the exhaust adapter, and you will see a boss on each side, which is there for prying purposes if needed. Be careful not to damage the gasket mating surfaces as you pull the p'head off.

I have a very nice set of used mounts...two lowers, one upper, and could save you a bunch of money over new parts. I really wonder why those parts are SO expensive.

Dasel, what is the "Boss?" Also, do you usually need a pry bar to get the powerhead off? Do you have an online store?

Dasel, what is the "Boss?" Also, do you usually need a pry bar to get the powerhead off? Do you have an online store?

Well, I generally call a raised, built-up ridge of metal a "boss". Maybe it is the wrong term. But, in the location I described, the lower rear corners of the p'head, there are two places that are made for using a prybar without having to actually put any tool between the bottom of the block and the exhaust adapter. Look and see, you will see how you can use a large prybar to begin the p'head separation. Yes, you generally have to pry it off. DON'T DAMAGE THE MATING SURFACES OF THE P'HEAD AND EXHAUST ADAPTER.

No I don't have any online store...I am not in any kind of outboard business at all. I just happen to have these very nice mounts, and I do what I do in my backyard. Just to have fun at it.

I also must apologize, I believe I miscounted the number of p'head retaining bolts. I believe the real number is eleven, not thirteen bolts. I was down at the shop today and noticed that I was probably wrong in my first post...but the concept is the same...get all those out that are around the rubber seal level, then drop down about 8 inches to get the six total on either side of the exhaust housing. If it won't come off, first suspect that you have missed some bolts. Don't just go whacking or prying without checking for missed bolts.

I can't get this stupid website to send a PM. I am receiving them, but I can't send. Sorry, I cannot answer you. Information for Mims, FL will get me.

They forgot to tell you the most important part. Before you tackle this job, take all of your breaker-bars, extension handles, 1/2" drive socket sets or larger, dynamite, C-4 explosive, etc, and have a good friend hold it for you until you get the $%^* bolts out. You will also probably need a propane torch, unless this is a nice, clean freshwater motor. Use lots of heat and patience, Nothing quite as miserable as trying to drill out a broken bolt.

PM sent to Daselbee.

For PMs, new ones don't go, also replys don't go.
I replied to yours Joe. Did you get it?

I click on reply, type this message, and hit submit message.

Screen "clears" as if it sent, but the sent items box never has anything in it, and I don't ever have any confirmation that the recipient got the message. As I said, I am receiving them, just can't send.

It started when they did the webhost software change.

Last edited:

They forgot to tell you the most important part. Before you tackle this job, take all of your breaker-bars, extension handles, 1/2" drive socket sets or larger, dynamite, C-4 explosive, etc, and have a good friend hold it for you until you get the $%^* bolts out. You will also probably need a propane torch, unless this is a nice, clean freshwater motor. Use lots of heat and patience, Nothing quite as miserable as trying to drill out a broken bolt.

Absolutely true. Those 6 long ones that are low down are especially difficult. There is white aluminum oxide corrosion that builds up and binds the bolts like you wouldn't believe.

OK...hey publicly...I will thank Joe for correcting this "no PM sending" issue I was having. It is operator error, a check box I was leaving unchecked. Thanks very much Joe.

Sorry for getting off subject on this thread...smitair17...you have disappeared....did you get the p'head off or not?

Yo....yea, sorry....I've been away for a while. I did get the powerhead off, e-z outed the bolts from the mount, cleaned it out, bought new bolts, and put it back in. Everything is back on, now to the real problem...in a new thread. Thanks for all the help.

OK...hey publicly...I will thank Joe for correcting this "no PM sending" issue I was having. It is operator error, a check box I was leaving unchecked. Thanks very much Joe.

Sorry for getting off subject on this thread...smitair17...you have disappeared....did you get the p'head off or not?
Could you please help me with a problem. I have all the bolts out, but cant get the power head off. It is a 2000 Johnson 225 ho. it will separate at the back but is stuck in the front. Yes I have removed all the bolts. Is the one hidden behind the carbs. Also this is a salt water engine. Thanks Rick Lilly

Back