Logo

My first boat, OMC Galaxy 1983, Need Help T.T

nirrozero

Hey, My Thread was moved, you guys can see the old one here
http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?t=380936

Basically I'm on step 2 of 6 of getting my boat working
its a 1983 1.6 L Sea Drive V-4 cross flow OMC (thx to member Boobie for that info)

here are some pictures from today
http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s277/nirrozero/1983%20boat/?albumview=slideshow

Tomorrow I will be changing
Motor Oil (straight SAE 30)Gear Oil ( what type does it take?)
z-max into my gas tank and engine oil
Window Holders?
Redo some boards on the bottom, ontop of the stringers
Change 4 toggle switched
Need new Bilge pump
New fuel Filter (mine was falling apart, not the one on the motor.)
4 New spark plugs(just in case)

I will have a video of the motor finally running, Put a new starter in, member chiefalen said it was the wrong one, but before I got his message I managed to put a couple of washers in the bottom bolt and it made it just perfect.
*Update (here's the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN8vUF5kYRo)

keep you guys updated*
Oh and a small question, where is the oil plug and gear oil plug, and fill plugs for both?
My steering is missing a piece on the bottom of the steering wheel(the thing the cable goes in) where can I get one without spending too much money?
thanks much!!!

Last edited:
Gearlube..... Use only what is called HiVis 80/90w gearcase lube, available most likely at this site, and at your dealership, Wal*Mart, K-Mart, various marine type stores, NAPA, etc.

DO NOT attempt to use the 30w you mentioned.

DO NOT attempt to use the 30w you mentioned.

so don't use the SAE 30 for the actual engine?

and where are the fill and drain plugs for engine and lower end

*update. fired her up this morning, took a couple times and had to pump gas to the engine, kinda wierd, there is some type of old filter in the boat with a air hose going to the hull, the filter in it is long gone, i took it out and it was crumbling in my fingers, now i was going to replace a 3/8 water hose on the back of the engine because it had a tear but i decided to take it off and it was clogged from top to bottom, so I ran some air through the system, do these motors have temperature switches? because when i use a water hose and the adapter to run water through my system it runs through the bottom half but not the top half can anyone explain?

Where can i find the manual for the Evinrude Johnson 115 that's identical to my OMC 110

Last edited:
Nirro,
Your engine is a two-stroke. It doesn't have SAE 30 or anything else in the crankcase. The powerhead is lubricated with TC-W3 outboard oil mixed at a 50:1 ratio with the gasoline.

Hmmmm, I just assumed that you were talking about the gearlube when you mentioned the 30w oil.

I'd suggest that you obtain a factory srvice manual for that engine in order to avoid expensive errors.

OK, so new update, fixed one of the stringers today, and started re-fiberglassing the floor, pulled old carpet out, bought some new carpet.
first time mixed the resin wrong used only half a gallon and managed to use up a two 30ml bottles of hardener, it solidified in like 20 minutes. so today i will go buy some more and mix it right.

Hmmmm, I just assumed that you were talking about the gearlube when you mentioned the 30w oil.

I'd suggest that you obtain a factory service manual for that engine in order to avoid expensive errors.

you were right, i double checked my 26 gallon gas tank, its premixed with 2 stroke oil

i just thought i would have a separate oil mixer if it were 2 stroke, guess not

i bought some gear lube, some new stuff they had that's synthetic blend supersedes hi-vis

So I changed my fuel lines today, they were crusted and non flexable.
tried to take apart the gear-case, but to no avail. seams to be stuck, came down about half an inch, some guy said that I need to unhook a linkage but I cant find it for the life of me.

Went to Sacramento to West Marine and they had a full rack in the box steering system. finally got it back, installed it and it turns like a charm.

installed some new switches and voila the lights all work, nav switch was broken off in On position so I guess that's what made the battery go dead.

tomorrow I will be doing the floor, and going to pickup some seats I ordered for 300 dollars, Sand color back to back and they fold out.

I think thats it for today.
keep you guys updated

Ok, so figured out how to take off lower half/gearcase

Impeller was fried, and part of the water pump was melted, i sanded it, repaired it, bought a new impeller. put everything back together and it works great. got some new gearcase lube and this thing revs like bwahaha. still gotta get on that flooring.

keep you guys updated

woa with the sanded water pump housing, you want to do it right replace it.

So now when you run the motor it pee's a good stream, how about when you run it with the cover off any leaks on the head?

You change out the t-stat.

See me i don't touch the body floor or anything till the motor runs perfect.

Good luck !

I replaced all cracked hoses, and all line ties with metal ones.
some had zip ties on them O.O

I ordered a pump housing replacement, along with the housing itself, but I did my best to clean this one out and have it working right with my new impeller.

I started the baby up and it pees like a jetski.

checked for leaks, there was one off of a small line in the back near the cylinders, so replaced the nozzel and secured it with a metal pipe screw thingy

whats a t-stat?

Last edited:
You change out the t-stat.

See me i don't touch the body floor or anything till the motor runs perfect.

Good luck !

I have someone Helping so we have been trading off on who does engine work and who does body work, Tomorrow I'm taking the boat out on the lake. wish me luck. I'll post a Video

T-stat = Thermostat. Your engine has two of them.

I guess it doesn't, my dash has no temperature gauge.

and I can't find it in my parts manual?
*update nvm, found it under cylinder and crankcase section of my manual... two of them =P.
are they hard to get to? will I need to change them?

Last edited:
Difficult to change? Yes they are.

Do you need to change them? I have no way of knowing but it would be a good idea to do so.

Hey guys sorry it took so long to reply back, so basically since I last posted I finished fiber-glassing. I cut out a piece of indoor outdoor carpet to fit the whole boat and put it in but didn't glue it since there's more work to get done.

didn't take my camera out first day since i though well maybe I'll sink...
I took the boat to the docks and got it in the water, forgot to plug the hole in the back, so I'm already sinking, now i have no Idea how they plug so I went running to a guy in a boat next to mine to ask him how it worked while my bilge pump was working, seemed to be pumping the water into itself from the hole and out the side lol.

Now with the hole plugged, I was off sorta, was afraid to put it in reverse,
took me a couple tries to get it started.
I primed the pump is air suppose to be in there?
I see bubbles in the filter....
then I flooded the engine, waited a bit
and fired her up. sounded good, she idled
and started going. ran great, went up to 65 mph, figured out tilt and stuff
freaking scared the crap out of me when the front end was so high, didn't know I had to adjust it. Speedometer is a bit off at about 0-20 it says 0 and at 45 your really going 65 ish because the rpm's are at about 5,000-6 000 went around the lake for about 4 hours, Oh yeah did I tell you guys how I messed up the fuel oil mixture was running a little rich on the oil side, someone says 1 pint per 6 gallons of gas, well i accidentally poured like 2.5 vs 7 gallons of gas. but it ran great.

Next day, decided to take my whole family out. well we ran great up to about 3 hours, I fueled the boat 13 gallons and added 1 pint of two stroke oil figured this might even it out. well at about 3 hours we tugged a boat, one that is not meant to be towed but w.e, you can see a video of it heerree http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOOINTL6aYs (thats me on the little raft) and then I started having problems took me 3 hours to get back to shore, my engine for some reason couldnt go above 2,000 rpm or it would drop rpm's and stall. now if I did run it above it would be like automatically go from 5,000 to 4,3,2,1 and then stall out??? no Idea
I'll be handling that tomorrow morning, like I said is there suppose to be fuel in the line, maybe its running to rich with fuel Idk. have a good night guys, I'll see you tomorrow morning maybe I'll figure it out.

Last edited:
So I figured out what was wrong. after browsing around the forums and through my repair manual, I found the most wonderful post.

Never use NGK spark plugs, went and bought champions from a boat place.
now it even starts up on the first time. oh and added a primer pump later that day with anti-siphon so that way it stays primed and i don't have to pump it.

Back