Logo

101 things to do with a dead 30a

rattlebolt

Hats off to the tohatsu gurus out there...

A guy just bought an old motor from me and he was so excited to get the old motor off his boat and go fishing, he just left the old motor in my drive way. It's a 92 30HP Nissan with a blown top piston. So I'm sizing up what to do with it.

I'm on the west coast.

I've rebuilt a couple of motors in the past, but my skill level doesn't really rise to that of a mechanic. I'm really just a guy who's good at puzzles. But I could disassemble the motor and change out that bad piston. And then I would have a running motor with remote control.

What do you guys think that would be worth in the used market?

I could also tear it down and sell off all of the parts. There's plenty in there. Lower unit. Carbs, CDI, Electric Starter, Pull Starter, Remote control box, Cables, and all the rest that people might be looking for.
It's a pretty clean looking motor.

But I'm on a fairly tight budget for projects these days. I would be happy to sell this one off as a parts motor for someone else.

Can any one give some guestimates of what prices the parts would bring?

And what model years will these parts fit?

I definetly got that feeling about the parts potential. That's why I asked about what parts would fit what years.

I'm very tempted to tear it down and replace the one piston. Engine gasket kit and a piston and rings don't look too expensive. It's not a warranty repair, but I sell my engines as expensive scrap metal anyway.

Since the engine is toast anyway, I might as well do the tear down and look at the parts that can be re used. It's raining and the river is too high to fish anyway.

Tohatsu_Guru.
Can you please help me with a Slow Speed Idle Adjustment for 35hp Tohatsu 2 strokes motor?
Please don't shove me at the Manual. I cannot read the manual, but simplest instructions from you on this site.
Thank you.

Back