Logo

Need info on '1966 Evinrude Starflite 80 hp

OldSchool71Tahiti

Hey all. I'm new to boats and am looking for tech info about the 80683C Evinrude motor and Evinrude Selectric controls on my boat. Wondering if the controls are worth tryng to fix or if I should just replace them. Not sure how the electric shift on the motor works as I see no elecrical connections inside the contol housing. Ugh, I need help!

Re: Need info on '66 Evinrude Starflite 80 hp

The diagrams in the parts catalog on this site gives an insight into how the system works.
http://www.marineengine.com/parts/v...ntage-evinrude-johnson/278786/27878600001.htm

There are two coils in the gearcase which operate clutches to engage the gears.
There is a cable running down inside the exhaust housing to them.

The remote control assembly has three push button switches to operate the system.

I imagine a manual would be necessary to do any work on the system

Did some wire picking and found some wiring going to the control unit. It looks to be wired into ignition switch.. In the loom though, I found a few cut or disconnected wires. "PROPS" to Vics for the quick response. I sure do appreciate it. Feelin' pretty optimistic now. One more question tbough... If I wanted to fire the engine safely out of the water, how do I ensure it's in neutral and where is the water intake/inlet on this engine so I don 't kill it. Thanks again for helpin a rookie.....

Last edited:

I think that this system defaults to neutral with no power on. Unlike the hydro-electric system which defaults to forward gear.

Check it. If you can spin the prop freely its in neutral. To be on the safe side you can always take the prop off!

I think you can make an adaptor plate to attach a hose where the bypass cover is on the side but IMHO the best bet is to run it in barrel/trash can/ old water tank. Then you don't have water pouring over your feet all the while and with the exhaust outlet submerged it cuts down the noise. You need to submerge it so that the water pump is under water which means a couple of inches above the joint at the top of the upper part of gear case

Back