Logo

1998 Yamaha C150hp TXRW-Acceleration Issue

mr_engineer

The Equipment:
Yamaha 1998 C150TXRW with a Yamaha 704 Remote Control Box (Shifter)
The Problem:
The motor will start and idle great in neutral, I can manually throttle it to 5500-6000 rpm in neutral by stroking the carb linkage. I can press the "Free Accelerator" button on the Control Box and rev it to 5500-6000 rpm in neutral using the shifter.....When I shift the motor in to forward and press it to full accelerator, it will rev only to approximately 1900-2000 rpm.

It just started this suddenly the last outing. It hasn't been a progressive problem, the motor has been running great. This motor has no more than 350 hours on it and has been well maintained. There is no water in the filter site glass and the water separator filter is fairly new, perhaps 50 gallons have run thru it. The gas I use does have 10% ethanol, I use a fuel treatment every 3rd fillup or so. The filter site glass shows full, it doesn't appear to be fuel starved. The plugs, thermostats, bypass valve/hose and water pump were changed several months ago and have perhaps 15 hours on them.

Any ideas friends? I haven't jumped in to the problem "yet", just looking for suggestions before I go out in this Texas heat and start digging.

Thanks

Last edited:
Re: 1998 Yamaha C150 TXRW-Acceleration Issue

Fuel treatment EVERY fill, Have you seen the stabil commercials with the dope in the bassboat? Next stay away from stabil products. Stabil, Star-Tron and the others have ethanol and/or methanol in them. Both attract moisture and water in the gas is what caused phase separation. Make sure you use 10 micron water separating fuel filters. pull yours off and check the fuel. Dump it in a glass jar and let it set still for an hour and see if it separates.

I would bet you have to have your carbs done. I could be wrong, but I do know fuel.
JOhn ><>

Re: 1998 Yamaha C150 TXRW-Acceleration Issue

Stuff4Toys,
thanks for the input. I use Seafoam treatment but not every fillup, perhaps I should use it every fillup. I planned to remove the water/fuel separator filter this weekend. I'm now thinking I'll drain the 50 gallon tank also. The only way to do that is remove the fuel level gauge cover and siphon thru the opening. This way I can actually see in the tank. I'm also looking for gas stations that sell non ethanol fuels...may pay a little more but it's certainly worth it.

Thanks

Happy Boating

Back