Logo

Need help 1973 85hp

Firedawg102

I have a 1973 Evinrude 85HP outboard and when I try and start the engine nothing happens. I have 12.50 volts to the solenoid. I have tested the ignition switch and its good. The fuse off the solenoid is good. I have no idea where to go next except taking it to a shop. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Re: 73' Evinrude 85 HP wont turn over

There are two small 3/8" nut terminals on that solenoid. One has a black wire that leads directly to a powerhead ground. The other 3/8" nut terminal has a wire that leads to the "S" terminal of the ignition switch.

When the key is turned to the START position, there should be 12 volts applied to the 3/8" starter solenoid nut terminal that connects to the "S" terminal of the ignition switch. Do you have 12 volts at that point when the key is in the START position?

If not, the neutral safety switch within the control box is most likely out of adjustment or faulty. Let us know what you find.

Re: Need help

I manually depressed the neutral safety switch and she turned over. I noticed that the throttle will not go back far enough to depress the switch and will not go into reverse either.

Normally you cannot shift the engine unless you spin the propeller while attempting to do so.

The neutral safety switch is adjustable..... loosen the two screws slightly.

Well it was solved. Everytime I go full throttle I cannot shift into reverse. I think something in the remote not working properly.

Back