Logo

89 barron 2.3 omc king cobra

this question makes no sense to me. Won't go over ten what? Knots I assume.
Lower unit generally does not "go out" if you mean fail to operate.

Boobie na you ain't stupid, cause there never was one.

So original poster please, repost what question you want a reply to and give better detail.

ok guys lets get it straight it has a 2.3l ford with a king cobra drive. and second of all what is the measurement for speed on a boat? i do believe it is knots yes yes it is. so my friends when you like at the spec tag on an omc out drive it says eng 2.3 on it so most people would put that together sorry you weren't able to.

Unless someone took a king cobra and put it on your transom after the boat left the factory it NOT COME FROM THE FACTORY WITH A KING COBRA MATED TO A 2.3 L MOTOR.

I do not doubt it maybe on your transom now, and that is why you can't go fast.

The gearing was maybe not changed in the upper. See the King cobra was used on bb motor such as a 460 ford and bbc motors.

Understand now ?

So ether you do not have a King Cobra but a Cobra, whats your pleasure.

So this is what i would do. I would read below how to determine what gear set you have. Copied and pasted from another site the poster is someone i know when i posted over there, i no longer do.

you can count teeth on the gears if it's apart or if removed, put it in gear, turn the drive shaft 10-20 turns or so, and have someone count the turns of the prop (you may need a protractor to measure fractions of a turn if you REALLY want to be accurate) and get out the calculator.

input shaft turns divided by propshaft turns = ratio (Yoke/Prop=ratio)

If it's a 1.5:1 or 2:1 drive it's easy.....3 turns of the yoke will produce 2 prop turns or 2 turns to 1 turn respectively.

If it's 1.43 to 1 you'll have to turn the input shaft more turns.... 143 to be precise. it would be 143 revs of the yoke to 100 revs of the prop etc.... This is where the protractor comes in handy...

For example, with a 1.43:1 drive the input shaft (engine) turns 1.43 revolutions for every 1 revolution of the prop......... If you measure exactly 1 turn of the prop. you would have to measure 1.43 "turns" of the yoke....... 0.43 times 360 degrees would be about 155 degrees.

so 1.43 turns would be 1 revolution + 155 degrees more

Good luck !

You know a pic or 2 would help here or at least the model # off the plate on the side of the drive. I would also lose the attitude from the last post, lots of people on this board are very knowledgeable and are very willing to help but the more info you give right up front makes it easier.

well the stamping says king cobra and yes i finally took it to the shop and aparently some bright moron changed the labeling on it to make it look like a king but it is just a cobra so when you look at the tags it say s king but it isn't.

Back