Logo

Tohatsu 18hp leaking fuel

Marinodman

I have a 90s model 18hp Tohatsu outboard that is new to me. Although it started on the first putt, the first time out it died on me. I had the carburator taken apart and cleaned because the fuel had been sitting, and the fuel lines/filter replaced. It ran great the first few times out but would die when running at idle. Parked it in the driveway and out of nowhere it began leaking fuel and would not crank. I checked the fuel lines and it's not coming from there. It "appears" to be leaking from the prop?? Any suggestions on what I should be looking for/checking? Thanks!

Old 2-strokes typically have some semi-unburned oil/fuel residue in the thru-hub exhaust. It's usually dark and gooey, sometimes mistaken for LU lube.

If, you had the fuel tank higher than the motor...
And, the carb needle didn't seat correctly...
And, the motor was tilted way down so the fuel ran into the motor instead of all over the outside...
And, the fuel filled the crankcase...
And, the lower piston was at just the right point in the stroke for the fuel to run through the cylinder...
You might get fresh fuel all the way through the motor. Maybe.
And if you did, it might cause liquid lock, preventing you from being able to pull the recoil.

Paul. thank you very much for your reply... Oddly enough, I was clenaing the interior of the boat (Small 15 ft fiberglass runabout) and:

Had the gas tank sitting on the seat, higher than the motor...
Not sure about the carb needle...
The motor was tilted way down as I had put an extra block beneath the trailer tongue to help drain the boat...
And, when I first went to crank it, the coil was locked...

You sir, are the man with your explanation...:cool:

It did leak nearly a half gallon of fuel. The coil is no longer locked but it still will not crank. Hesitated to try because of it being locked before I knew what to look for.

Back