Logo

looking for info on my 1992 Johnson 60hp

muktown

i was just given an old 1971 tri hull that wasnt running but i got the motor going. the engine model number is vj60elene and from searching i found that it is a 1992 engine my question is do these motors mix gas (is that what vro means?) or do i have to pre mix? the reason i ask is just under the fuel hook up there is another hose barb and the only thing i can see that it could be for is oil. the bard isnt connected to anything in the motor there arent any hoses comming off of it but i think its supposed to be. the boat is old and has the removable tank and no oil tank because i think you had to pre mix when the boat was first made. and info would be great. do these motors have electric chokes or primers? any known problems? at idle and high speed it seems to run real good but at low speed around 2k rpms it shakes real bad. is that normal being a 3 cylinder? i know it sat for 6 years so is there anything i should do? i changed the plugs gas and lower unit oil. anything else? new to the whole boating thing

thanks alot guys

Re: looking for info on my 1992 Johnson 60

It would have been a VRO2 and it would have had a separate oil tank.

(VRO = variable rate oiling)

It may be that the oil side has been disabled and that it has been running on a 50:1 premix, other wise you need the oil tank.

They do have electric primer pumps. You should be able to spot its red lever which is for manually operating it if necessary.

For advice on an engine that has been idle for some time read THIS

And on VROs read THIS and THIS

Back