Logo

Just checking (Marine Mechanic)

severncoxswain

Hey guys, firstly am glad to have joined MarineEngine.com and secondly am a Marine Mechanic (Apprentice).

A mate of mine said this to me about his Johnson engine, specs can't remember to hand, anyway;

"Engines being weird. Think it's bad fuel/starvation. Impellors not been changed for six years though! It splutters after about five mins running and cuts out. "check engine" light shows."

I reply'd to him by saying this, advising him I'd like to get my hand a bit greasy and oily;

"Have you had a look at the impellor? I'd be able to tell you whether it has something to do with the spluttering and cuting out. How much water is coming out? If the fuel tank has been kept in the safe place for the amount of time not being used their could be condensation which then causes fuel starvation..."

Was this the right advice, his boat was boat only at the start of the week, but hadn't been used for about 2 years and had went through bad weather in Scotland this year.

When he bought the boat another Marine Mechanic serviced it but never fully serviced it as they never checked the drive/prob shaft, cause apparently the bolts were seized...

what do you think?

Back