Logo

1969 20hp johnson lower unit wont shift

My lower unit wont shift out of forward. it runs great but it just wont shift. it is not the shift linkage as i checked this already. help?

Did you or anyone else by chance remove that philips screw from the lower unit's skeg?

In what manner did you check the shift linkage?

I pulled the little "access door" that is held on with two screws and looked to see if the upper and lower shift linkage were still connected, as they are. i thought that they may have, over the years, maybe worn loose or maybe one of the shift rods might have slipped out. any ideas? evreybody is telling me that i shouldnt even have an "access door" to it but i do.........

You didn't answer my question about removing the philips screw from the lower unit's skeg. Did you or anyone else remove that at any time? If so, therein lies your problem as that would let the internal shift linkage drop away from the shifter dog.

Model 20R69D is indeed a 1969 20hp Johnson, and it does have the 2 screw oblong inspection plate that exposes the brass shift connector you mention.

Hold that brass shift connector solidly. Now, try to move the shift lever without moving the brass connector. If you can move the shift handle, then obviously there is play in the linkage under ther powerhead.

If no play exists = lower unit problems.

Where would I find the model number on a Johnson Motor? All I can find is a silver tag on the motor with an M and under it was a J followed by 7 numbers..

Back