Logo

Please help/Starter problem Force 1984 125 HP

FairChase

I have a project boat,84 bayliner with 125 hp force engine. I am gussing the engine is the same year. The serial # 2813 Model# 1258X4A

The engine is free. I cannot get the starter to crank the engine.

First I thought it was the battery, so bought a new battery Ever Star MAXX29 with 875 Cranking AMP.
when I pull all the plus out it will turn the engine, but when I put only one spark plug back( does not matter which one) it is not able to turn the engine.

Now I do this by using a jump cable, black on ground and red directly on the starter + contact. I am bypassing the ignition and the solenoid.

Then I thought the starter is no good. I ordered a new one. Model 6955
Put it in and the same thing. Absolutely no change. It turns the engine with all the plugs out, but can't turn it with only one plug back on it.
Do I need 2 batteries?

Does anyone know what the problem is? I am stuck.

Re: Please help/Starter problem Force 125 HP

Could be Bad engine Ground or the motor is locking up. But I'm no pro so its just my 2cents worth.

Do a compression test.Then post your results.Bad compression will cause this problem.J

Do a compression test.Then post your results.Bad compression will cause this problem.J

I can't even get compression. Once I put the gage on one cylender it won't turn. I am going to try a rope start and check. To me that indicates that the compression is high, which is good. I read somewhere that sand in the water pump could cause the problem. I had to check the water pump anyway, so I am going to pull the lower unit and check. Will let you all know.

Back