Logo

what year is my motor?

idaho bassen

Hi all, I stumbled across this forum today and think you can help. The s/n is 677s030584. I thinkk it's a late 70's or early 80's. I also think it's made by Yamaha. If this is the case do I look parts under Yamaha? I can not find the aluminum water pump base that I need under mariner although I see the seals and impeller for my s/n range. Thank you In advance.

Last edited:
That is a 1980, 8 horse, short-shaft, manual start, Yamaha built (for Merc) "B" model Mariner.

It is the Mariner version of the Yamaha model 8B which was first produced in 1977.

So, for parts (in general) you have two options.

Use your serial at a Merc dealer or find a Yami dealer with (older) parts still on hand and tell them you have a 1977 model 8B and maybe they can help you out.

In the case of the "plate" you are looking for, Merc no longer carries it - so Yami may be your only hope...

Thank you galamb. I was very lucky today when I went to Pend Oreille marine. The owner Kurt was very helpful . First tried to find a merc lower unit to swap with me when he found out he did not have one he pulled out the old microfiche (ya rember that film you put in the glass slide and slide it over a light.) He found the part number , made a call to a company in Seattle and walla the part will be in tomorrow. If any of you are in the Oldtown,Id/Newport, WA area and need parts or repair give him a call. BTW he also told me that there are a few websites to access the microfiche at but didn't say what ones.

Last edited:
Back