Logo

2001 150hp V-Max Bogging down

jrgrady

To start, I am mechanical savy. The back story is that I got bit by the ethanol bug and replaced my fuel tank, all fuel and vent hoses, installed a new 10 micron fuel filter with clear bowl, and fuel supply line to the diaphragm pumps. Dropped it in the water and it ran great at all ranges. Boat took on water during a storm and water got into my carbs and cylinders. Recovered the motor and immediately emptied the cylinders and drained the carbs. Sprayed oil in the cylinders and spun the flywheel by hand to prevent hydrolock. Took the carbs off and cleaned them out and rebuilt them again due to salt intrusion from the water. Put everything back together and fired right up on hose flush. Put the boat back in the water and under a load, the engine boggs down to the point of stall. At idle and low rpms, runs great. As soon as I throttle up, it dies. I checked the fuel water sep, and its all fuel, no water. Ran the boat under a load and had it bog down and pumped the primer bulb and it did not affect the performance at all, so I am ruling out the diaphragm pumps. Any other suggestions other than taking the carbs off again and blowing compressed air through the passages again. I know there clean. One thing I did notice is that when the engine was bogging down, it ran better when I choked the engine out manually, so I am thinking it is a fuel starvation issue.

Any thoughts???????

Back