Logo

engine will not after running for 30 mins 1988 9.9hp

brokenbob

I have a 1988 evinrude 9.9hp, rope start, model E10RCCD, engine. after getting engine started, it will start on 1st pull. If it sets for approximately 30 mins, it will not start. I have rebuilt the fuel pump, carburetor, new line from gas tank to engine. I need some suggestions Thanks
:mad:.

Last edited:
Re: engine will not after running for 30 mins

Choke flap closing when you pull the knob?

Checked plugs and sparks?

Thanks for replying
I tried the choke and it did not help. The choke will not close all the way, but I can not find away to adjust it to close further. I have not checked the ignition. I replaced the plugs. I got tire of pulling. So I use starting fluid to get it started (used only a small amount). After it sets for about 30 mins it will not start until I use starting fluid. I know that it is not good to use starting fluid, but it is the only way I can get in started. After saying all that, could the spark from the ignition not be hot enough for the gas but could be for the starting fluid?

Starting fluid ignites at a much lower temperature than gasoline so will ignite with a poor spark

You have replaced the plugs (QL77JC4 or QL82C gapped at 0.030") but have you checked the sparks. They should jump 7/16" If you have good sparks and new plugs then it's back to looking at the carb.

You might like to look at some of the topics on the 9.9hp HERE

I would have expected the choke flap to close completely

There was problem with the plastic carb tops at one time. But If you have rebuilt it presumably thats something dealt with.

Brokenbob, do you have electronic ignition? I have been watching threads closely as I am TSing a spark issue on a 75 15hp. Read soemwhere that if the condensors are bad they will degrade as they get hot messing up the ignition. Once they cool down, they work fine again. If you have condensors, maybe worth a look.

Thanks for replying, I think I have an electronic ignition. I will take the flywheel off and check out the condensers. I want get that chance until Saturday

I see you are from Huntsville, Al. I have family there.

Vics, I will check the plugs that I replaced to see if I have the right ones and check the gap also. I have not checked the spark, but I will. I looked at the website that you suggested, but not all of it. That is a lot of information. The choke flap is spring load and with the choke pulled all the way out, it still does not close completely. The plastic top I have not replaced, but I may have to. I am in the process of replacing the bottom, found cracks at the screws holes. Thanks, this information is very helpful.

I will take the flywheel off and check out the condensers
The condensers we talk about are those associated with points ignition. Dawnfogg's '75 15 hp has points ignition. You will not find any under the flywheel of a electronic ignition system

Brokenbob, yes, moved to Huntsville about 2 years ago after retiring form the Navy. Its been great.....except for this darn 15hp Johnson that I can't get to spark.

Thanks for the advice. I will let you know what i found out. My family has been there since 1973

Have you tried te coils
some times the break down after they get hot
and when they cool it will restart again
Steve

Vics, I posted with you, back in June with a problem. I have not resolved that problem yet; however, I have a more serious one right now. The vanes on the water pump rotor came off and the engine got hot and locked up. This engine most likely has less than 50 to 100 hours on it. I have removed the head, reed plate, and the lower seal cap. My question is do I need to change the lower and upper seals, the piston rings, remove the exhaust and crossover plates. The cylinder wall look new and there no scouring or ring groves at the top of the cylinders. I can post pictures so you can see that the engine looks new. When the engine stopped, it was not at full throttle. Look forward to your reply
:confused:

Vics, I posted this and I don't know if you got it. Therefore, I am sending it again.
Vics, I posted with you, back in June with a problem. I have not resolved that problem yet; however, I have a more serious one right now. The vanes on the water pump rotor came off and the engine got hot and locked up. This engine most likely has less than 50 to 100 hours on it. I have removed the head, reed plate, and the lower seal cap. My question is do I need to change the lower and upper seals, the piston rings, remove the exhaust and crossover plates. The cylinder wall look new and there no scouring or ring groves at the top of the cylinders. I can post pictures so you can see that the engine looks new. When the engine stopped, it was not at full throttle

Sorry cannot help you with this. It would be wise to dismantle and inspect the condition of rings etc.

Back