Logo

Transom Question

bobbyb

Okay, so before I go out back and shoot myself :eek:....lol - can someone provide an answer to what I just discovered.

I have a 16' fiberglass bow rider with a 90hp Johnson. I pulled it out of the water this morning and when I was tying it down I noticed a huge spider web from the plug up towards the engine mount. By the time I got home (15 minutes) the Transom was dry and the web was no longer visible.

Tapping the Transom, it seemed pretty solid (I could not find any soft spots anywhere), but I need to know - did I buy a problem?? Is there a chance the Transom could break up on me? Is it worth repairing - the boat is a 1989 Invader.
Thank You for taking the time to answer,
bobby

Could have been fluid that leaked down from the motor instead of a crack. Take a screwdriver and try to push it into the transom from the inside. Try it around the area you saw the web in. If you can't get it to go in then likely there is no problem with the transom. If you can get it in then you need to decide whether to repair the transom or get rid of the boat. If you like the boat then it may be worth repairing the transom if it is needed.

Hang on to those bullets for just a bit...
First, I'd try re-wetting the transom and see what you see. Are these web lines imperfections in the gel-coat? Or are they stress cracks? There really isn't much stress on a transom down by the plug. Try and see if any repair had been done there.
The age of the hull, feeling for softness both inside and out would be the best. Older hulls used plywood with glass. The newer ones use foam or Penski board, things that don't decay or dry rot. If you do find a soft spot, they can be repaired fairly easily. If it turns out to be wide spread? That can become quite a project...
Hope this helps.

Can you pull some screws in the transom, i.e. transducer, speedo, or even one of the engine mount screws. See if water comes out or twist a paper towel in them to see if it blots water. Use a dental pic to probe the wall of the holes to see if soft or rot falls out.

On YouTube there are videos showing transom repairs. MAS epoxy and West likely have some too on their websites.

Back