Logo

When it rains, it pours 1993 225

smitair17

Contributing Member
I have a 1993 Evinrude Ocean Pro, 225. Put the boat back in today to go fishing. I'd be travelling at about 5500 rpms and it would bog down, but not stall out. I would bump it back into neutral, and start again. If I went from neutral to wot, it would bog, but if I slowly moved it up to 4000 rpms it would be fine for a while, and when I tried to bump it up more, it would eventually bog down again. I also noticed while it was bogging down, it had the feeling that it is right on the edge of taking off and bogging down, almost like on a dirtbike when you hold it on the edge of the powerband. On the way home, it sounded a little muffled, like it was being choked, and wot was only 5000 rpms? I have no clue. It was a very disappointing trip.

For anyone who read my last post from before I went out, the reverse is messed up. I've never had any problems before. My reverse worked when I just got on the water, then when I got to my spot, it didn't work, just sounded like it wasn't going into the reverse gear. Then, just before I left my spot, it would go in reverse? Very strange. Any comments or help is appreciated!

Re: When it rains, it pours

Is the primer bulb going flat when you have the problem? Does pumping it when you have the problem eliminate the problem? On the reverse issue, if you disconnect the shift cable at the engine, can you then shift it into reverse OK?

Back