Logo

1979 Johnson Tiller 25 Hp.

spent

When I pull the motor to start it...It kicks back and I can't figure out why.
Could it be out of timing and how would I set that ?

Last edited:
The pin is not sheared and the plug wires are in the right spot....Everything under the fly wheel has been changed the mag is retarded but it still fires in advance... Could it be the pack is holding the charge and not releasing it at the proper time ?

I still can't figure out why I still get a kick back on my engine when I go to pull it.
If it is not the power pack and there is timing marks on it how can I possibly check if the timing has slipped.
Could the power pack be not letting out the spark at the right time ???

If that kick back is like the engine is trying to rip the rope out of your hands, and the flywheel key is okay and the spark plug wires are inded not crossed, the only thing left is that too much throttle is being applied which would have the timer base too far advanced..... OR..... the timer base is somehow advanced too far to begin with (don't really know how that would be possible though).

If the ignition points were way out of adjustment, that might possibly cause that problem.

I finally got the motor running it turned out to be the power pack was giving me the problem a new one rectified that.
Thanks to all who gave me information on the way to repair it.
A special thanks to joereeves.......

Could have it been that the two primary wires from the powerpack to the coils were reversed? I neglected to mention that possibility previously.

Back