Logo

Smokey Joe VRO 1990 150

mwh98

Two years ago I had the 1990 150 VRO completly rebuilt due to salt obstructions in the cooling system. My mechanic talked me into replacing the disabled VRO pump as part of the rebuild.

The engine smokes and uses way too much oil from the resevior in my opinion. I have taken the motor back several times and the mechanic is confidant there is no issue. He thinks it is just the residual oil that was mixed into the fuel tank pre rebuild that is throwing the % mix. But we have run mayby 60 gallons of fuel through since the rebuild, so it should be thinning out. Can the VRO be adjuted?

Mark

San Antonio

Re: Smokey Joe VRO 150

No adjustment for the VRO. Have you monitored the oil usage, i.e., what amount of oil is used per x gallons of gas? That's probably the best way to check it.

Just a rough estimate, possibly a gallon of oil for every 20-30 gallons of gas, and I think is should be more along the lines of 48 gallons of gas.

Also, don't know if it is related, but when I tilt the motor up for trailing it dumps a few ounces of oil in the motor well, real dark oil that is not mixed with fuel.

Mark

The most common cause of over oiling is an air leak in the fuel line, or a severe restriction in the fuel supply.

Dcramer is on the money. Check all your fuel line connections from the tank to the carbs. Also check the anti-siphon valve on the tank (if it has one).

Back