Logo

41a aftercooler excess pressure

pez espada

I noticed in the last couple of trips an oily film in my engine box and have discovered that the weep hole on the aftercooler is the culprit. I have a new breather filter and no blow by from oil filler cap. What would cause the aftercooler to be pressurized.

Thanks, Zack

Weep hole is there from the factory, and oily fumes coming out of the breather and back into the intake filter (change them every 100 hours) will eventually end up in the turbo, and after the turbo in the intercooler. Walls of the intercooler air chamber are coated in oily film. It is normal that it weeps black residue. There is no excess pressure, just normal buildup of oily fumes.

Stringer_Bell,

Thanks for the reply. I put a peace of white absorbent cloth underneath the aftercooler to catch any residual oily fumes and the pressure blew a pin hole right through the absorbent cloth. Seems like this shouldn't happen. I thought excess pressure is handled by the air breather.

Thanks for the reply, Zack

Air breather handles excess CRANKCASE pressure, aftercooler handles INTAKE air pressure. Aftercoolers are made from aluminum, and not from cloth for a reason :)

The weep hole will see your full boost pressure, your choices are to remove aftercooler and clean the residue from the inside, or to leave it alone and wipe what leaks out

Back