Logo

Request for Joe Reeves 1986 120hp

galamb

Silver Medal Contributor
Joe, can you post up the link for your Ebay store (I lost it) and second - anyone can jump in on this one -

I'm doing a restore on a 1986 120 V4 (small bore) looper - almost purely preventative to try to keep her alive for a numbers of years to come.

I am replacing many of the parts (standard rebuild kit) but since I am unfamiliar with OMC rebuilding "norms", is it worth replacing the lower crank bearing if outwardly it seems ok (haven't even cracked lower crank head at this point)?

The cylinders were barely marked at all and only require a hone, so it really isn't in bad shape to start with. Likewise, the main bearings are good as are the seal rings and there was no indications that the lower seals were bad before it was tore down.

Re: Request for Joe Reeves

Hey Graham,

What? Did you get a crate motor?... A crate full of parts. Sounds like a fun project. Good to see ya. Have fun.

I have a 140 that I just rebuilt last year and grabbed this as a spare parts "donor", but found that there wasn't very much wrong with it - so like the 6 millon dollar man, we can rebuild it :)

As far as your bearing issues, it's been my experience that good bearings be left alone. Unless it's one out of a series of bearings, in which you have one bearing go bad - crank or cam bearings in an auto motor. In that case, changing one bearing, which would not be "run in", might cause trouble with the old bearings not running in their comfort zone, as it were. If the cost of a new bearing is no issue, I'd change them all, break them in together. If it's a case of one bearing going bad, I'd think the crankshaft would be suspect of the sorce of the problem, bent shaft, lubracation, worn lobe. If that's the case, the new bearing wont last long anyway. Out of round, wobble in the shaft can be checked by a shop that specializes in grinding crankshafts.

That's kinda what I was thinking. I will do the seals, but unless advised otherwise, planned on leaving the main, upper and lower crank bearings alone.

Thanks for answering Joe - let us know if/when you are back in business :)

this---'bearing'....is hauling azz....constantly........an overhaul,..is not,..unless the bearings,..r replaced.......that said,......i have ,..re-used some.......which i wont do again,...and have not for 20 yrs.......there r those....that do a 'short' overhaul--- reuse pistons,bearings etc,....only fix,...the 'immediate'..problem........my ethics,....r to rebuild it,......not PATCH-it.....just FYI.

Thanks JWB.

The motor was bought with the intention of stripping off what I wanted for spares (for my 140) and then selling off whatever was left over.

However, when I started tearing her down she looked to be in very good shape, so I shifted gears and decided on a refurb instead.

It's getting a cylinder hone, new rings and rod bearings top and bottom (pistons are just getting cleaned up and re-used - they measure well within spec).

Also, all gaskets and seals will be replaced.

I found a nick in one of the crank seal rings, so I'm changing them as well.

There is zero play in the top/bottom crank bearings and the center main is fine without any discolouration or obvious signs of wear.

So here's where I'm at on the crank bearings - while the lower bearing and main bearings are cheap (about 30 bucks a pop), the upper only comes as an "assembly" at a little over 300 bucks.

I do appreciate and value your opinion - so is it worth spending an extra 400 bucks to do all three or do I replace the main/lower and leave the assembly alone, or, do I leave all of them alone since they seem good?

those upper and lower bearings can be had,in an overhaul kit,..u dont have to buy the end cap,as that is the oem way..or possibly seperate,from sierra.

Ok thanks - I was really having trouble trying to justify 300 bucks for an upper bearing - I will take a good look...

Back