Logo

150 evinrude

vanceboroguy

Contributing Member
My 150 Hp evinrude lost compression in top cylinder. Looked really bad pitted and partially gone. The rings where imbedded in head. Next two cylinders in bank looked to be doing same thing, but still had good compression.Anyway, I have had powerhead changed and rebuilt carbs. Some said water in gas or bad carbs did this to motor. No water found, but put water seperater on ,just in case. I have front tank on boat that is 16 feet from motor. Primer bulb goes soft while running. Will this cause lean situation and harm motor? Motor runs fine on tank ,just trying to solve problem on blown motor. Thanks

What year is your engine? Primer bulb normally is "not hard" when running, however if it starts flattening out it would show a restriction in the fuel system between the tank & the bulb...possibly the tank vent, etc. Is the motor running a VRO or do you pre-mix?

I was told it was an 1990 powerhead . The one that blew was a 1978. The 1990 uses VRO with oil part plugged and disconnected, so I mix oil in gas still. The primer bulb does not suck together and will start after running.

I'm just overly worried that it will happen again,I guess. My brother-in-law has never service or maintained his motor and never has any problems. I change water pump every 2 years,have motor serviced every year and still end up with blown motor. Will weak flow from tank cause lean condition in motor or will motor just quit running from lack of fuel?

"Lean" relates to the air/fuel mixture in the carbs. If your motor is running well through the range from idle to WOT you're good to go.

Back