Logo

Tohatsu 9.9 hp 2008 - Throttle sticking

beamreacher

Hi,

I was approaching my slip yesterday in my Hunter 27, flipped my Tohatsu 9.9 into reverse, and tried to rev the throttle ... but turning the handle did nothing; it stayed at very low throttle, almost idle. So I lifted the handle and grabbed one of the throttle cables and pulled. Then it was in "wide open" throttle mode, going backwards way too fast! I finally managed to come to the dock by alternately running the engine at full speed, then pulling out the choke to kill the engine; then we warped the boat into the slip.

When I start the engine now, it's always at full throttle. Turning the knob on the handle does nothing.

I haven't cracked open the cover to the engine yet ... but I suspect that the throttle assembly on the engine block probably needs to be lubed. Or the springs are weak or broken. Has anyone had a similar experience? What do you suggest?

Thanks,
Jim

What is your model? Assuming it is MFS9.9C, You have either a cable/spool problem, or the throttle handle has disengaged from its shaft, and is not turning the shaft in the tiller. There are no springs involved, and the cables seldom, if ever, need lubrication.

You are in your 3-year warranty. Your dealer should be able to help you at no cost.

Back