Logo

ignition component testing with voltmeter?

dawnfogg

Contributing Member
I have a '75 15 HP Johnson that is only firing on one cylinder. Swapped leads to the coils and the problem followed to the other cylinder. Suspect bad driver coil, condenser or point. Is there a way to check the integrity of these components with a simple voltmeter. Maintenance manual walks through the process with specific system checkers which I don't have. Any ideas to isolate the issue is appreciated.

If you have proper spark to even one cylinder, the driver coil is okay. The "switch" coil test you did proves the external coils are okay. What's left?..... points and condensers.

Check the points for pitting and if pitting is found, replace the points and the related condenser. If the point contact surface looks normal (no pitting), clean the points with either acetone or lacquer thinner, then set as follows.

(Point Setting Of Magneto Models)
(J. Reeves)

Set the points as follows. Have the flywheel key aligned with the fiber rubber portion of the ignition points. Adjust the gap so that a .020 gauge will pass thru but a .022 will not. Should there be any question of the points being dirty (touching the contact with your finger would cause them to be dirty), clean them with a small brush and acetone or lacquer thinner.

NOTE: Should the operating cam have a small portion on it with the word "SET" imprinted, align this portion with the fiber rubbing portion instead of the flywheel key.

Let us know the rsults.

Thanks, got the points set and will replace the flywheel and see if I get a spark to both cylinders. Checked resistance of all wires and everything seems to be intact and properly grounded. I guess if I still have the problem, I will replace the condensor and points- not too much of an investment for that. If that fails. Not sure where I will go.

This is a great site and I am learning a lot by just reading threads. Thought I would put this string to bed by saying the points and condensors were replaced and good strong spark on both coils- 7/16" arc - nice blue spark.

Keeping my fingers crossed that when i hook up gas, it will crank up.

Back