Logo

Hardly new, another Ethanol Problem 2001

stindi

I have a 2001 HPDI Yamaha outboard. This has been a great engine and all problems I have had with it have had to do with "help" from my son. LOL This one problem now is partially my fault for being ignorant of the properties of ethanol fuels.
After 9 years, enough ethanol and water condensation has built in my 96 gallon tank to shut my engine down. Once I realized where to look for trouble, we began looking at the fuel.
After changing all filters (that little expensive one at the top after the high pressure pump is the last) I have been in the process of draining the tank. The substance I have found amazed me.
I am not sure exactly how badly things are messed up. Hoping it hasn't hurt the HP pump, the injectors, I have done the following.
Replaced all filters (the last one to be done by a mechanic, I don't have the tool to attach those HP clamps) including the Racor separator filter.
Replaced all plugs. The old ones were fouled. DUH.
I have bought a small outboard tank to use while I clean my tank of this. I'm looking for other things I might not have thought of.
Also, there seems to be a blockage between the filter on the engine and the hp pump. There is a one way valve in line to the hp pump. I've no idea what it does other than stop any back flow. Can those lines be blown out?
Any help and advice is appreciated.
I've attached a picture of some of the end results of my tank. The picture shows a darker red substance with the consistency of an oil while the yellow on top appears to be gas and is much more fluid in it's characteristics. Condensation has formed in the top of this bottle. With any movement, the droplets fall to the bottom with amazing speed. It's really quite an education, unfortunately, it's becoming an expensive one...
Thanks in advance for your reply.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Re: Hardly new, another Ethanol Problem

Thanks for the info and the photo. I have recently purchased a 22 Pathfinder with a 150 HPDI. I have always bought fuel at a reliable fuel dock though it is more expensive.
Did you use any of the ethanol treatment additives before this problem occured?

NEVER mix non-ethanol and ethanol fuel together. If you have access to REAL gas, stay with real gas. If it's not available use ethanol and look for a product called "Gas Shok" yes shok. Gas Shok does not contain ethanol or methanol and will keep the water and ethanol suspended in the gas.

Next, if you are noticing crystals on the aluminum or the gas is eating the aluminum carb, add a biocide. Any biocide, you can find it for diesel fuel and it will kill the bacteria growing in your ethanol.

Also add a water separating fuel filter and don't forget the Gas Shok.

I sell Gas Shok but not on-line, you have to get it from a dealer who caries it.

Back