Logo

2003 OX66 225hp overheating@idle

TommyW

I have a 2003 Yamaha OX66 225hp that overheats when idling. I took it to a dealership and they claimed the only time they could get it to overheat was with the muffs hooked up. When they put it in their test tank they claimed everything was ok. Their claim is that not enough water preasure from the hose to keep it cool. Charged me $156.00 . It still overheats when idling!
Now what i should do is take it back to the dealership and stuff it,but they are out bout 3 weeks and I need the boat.
Any ideas on what could be the problem?
Also impeller was replaced last fall.
Thanks for any info that you can give. Tommy

Re: 2003 OX66 225 overheating@idle

Get your hands on a Infrared Temp gun. Check your heads at idle. The alarm goes off between 183-195 degrees. If temp is high and the water pump is working properly you may have an obstruction in the water jacket. This could be as simple as salt build up. Salt will build up over time, even if you flush regularly.

The water pump seems to be kicking enough water out, although I'm not sure the correct way to check it other than visual and feeling the preasure from the p-hole.
Obstruction in the water jacket may be an issue, not salt water though as it has never been in salt water. I did flush it. Is there a product that a person can add that would help break up clogs and deposits?

We have a 1999 ox66 200 that does the same thing, i am about to replace the gasket under the water pump assembly that is what i was told was my problem more than likely. Our motor will idle for a good while before the alarm sounds, just give it a little throttle and the alarm will stop. I was told that the where the gasket seals is thin and the gasket can roll over and let it suck air not letting it get enough water. Hope this helps..

Tommy W just might save you some time, i just changed the gasket under my water pump assembly, i saw nothing wrong with it at all. Haven't had it in the water but it showed no leakage whatsoever. Hope this helps!!

i had to flush the hell out of my engine,,, muffs on high water flow, meaning turn the water on the whole way, nice and tight fit, good muffs, is the only way i could get mine to work,,, flush it back and forth with the check valve cleaned out,,, muffs and real water conditions are 2 different animals.. good luck
I have a 2003 Yamaha OX66 225hp that overheats when idling. I took it to a dealership and they claimed the only time they could get it to overheat was with the muffs hooked up. When they put it in their test tank they claimed everything was ok. Their claim is that not enough water preasure from the hose to keep it cool. Charged me $156.00 . It still overheats when idling!
Now what i should do is take it back to the dealership and stuff it,but they are out bout 3 weeks and I need the boat.
Any ideas on what could be the problem?
Also impeller was replaced last fall.
Thanks for any info that you can give. Tommy

Back