Logo

2002 Evinrude 250hp stalls at low RPMs

tarpon6866

So I have a 250 Ficht (Bombardier) and since late last season it has been having problems at low rpm and sometimes in idle. It happens more, early in the day than it does as the day progresses. Commonly when I am bumping the motor into forward or reverse in the marina to get out of my slip, she stalls (making it sometimes difficult to control her in tight quarters). I have bought some new Iridium plugs that I was hoping would help.

Any other thoughts? Thank you in advance.

Re: 2002 Evinrude 250 stalls at low RPMs

sounds like the carbs either need to be cleaned
or the low speed idle screw needs to be adjusted.

since it just started happening, not like it has always been like that it is most likely your carbs need to be rebuilt.

Having retired in 1991, I'm not familiar with the "Ficht" engine, however the entry by "OMC_10" indicates it is a carbureted engine. I would suggest........

Remove all spark plugs and check the compression. What are the readings?

NOTE.... if the starter bendix gear has a endency to kick out frequently when checking compression, finger tighten all of the spark plugs except the cylinder you're checking.

Check the spark.... Remove all spark plugs, and rig a spark tester whereas you can set a 7/16" gap. The 7/16" gap is important. Do not attempt to use the spark plugs or the inline light testers as both would be a total waste of time. No tester? Build this one.

(Spark Tester - Home Made)
(J. Reeves)

A spark tester can be made with a piece of 1x4 or 1x6, drive a few finishing nails through it, then bend the pointed ends at a right angle. You can then adjust the gap by simply twisting the nail(s). Solder a spark plug wire to one which you can connect to the spark plug boots, and a ground wire of some kind to the other to connect to the powerhead somewhere. Use small alligator clips on the other end of the wires to connect to ground and to the spark plug connector that exists inside of the rubber plug boot.
Using the above, one could easily build a spark tester whereas they could connect 2, 4, 6, or 8 cylinders all at one time. The ground nail being straight up, the others being bent, aimed at the ground nail. A typical 4 cylinder tester follows:

..........X1..........X2
.................X..(grd)
..........X3..........X4

The engine must crank over at least 300 rpms in order for the stator to energize the powerpack, hence removing the spark plugs to obtain the highest cranking rpm possible.

The spark should jump that 7/16" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame on all cylinders..... a real SNAP! What were your results?

If the compression and spark are as they should be, suspect fouled carburetors, in which case, remove, clean, and rebuild them.

Let us know what you find.

Thanks for the ideas guys. SGTMA83 is correct that it is fuel injected. Amazing that it runs so well at high RPMs and is so bad in idle or in gear at low rpms.

I was thinking about burning some Seafoam and gas through it from a small exterior tank and then replacing the plugs w the Iridiums.

Any other thoughts?

I've got the same issues on my 2004 EFI 140. Runs great past dead low throttle. Looking for some insight as well.

The FICHT is certainly a different beast. Some big motors have an ingition cut-out that disables cylinders when the engine is shifted into gear. This is meant to limit the amount of force applied to the gears. I don't know for certain, but I wonder if your FICHT 250 has a similar feature? Maybe it's cutting out the cylinders too much causing it to die?

How does the idle when it's in neutral or in gear? If it idles fine but only dies while shifting, I would suspect a sensor or some other function causing spark to cut out as you move into gear.

Kevin

Back