Logo

some problems; johnson seahorse 1982 4hp

mike99

Hi, I'm new in the forum my name is michele and I'm Italian, I hope my english is good...
I have a 1982(about) johnson seahorse 4hp, 2strokes, twin cylinders, inside tank.
During lasts runs the engine suddenly lost power but didn't stop. I think that in one cylinders mixture doesn't burn very well, infact the spark plug of the upper cylinder is black and oil cover.
The engine seems have ignition problems...even if there is the spark.
Can you help me plase? What do you think about?
thank you

Re: some problems; johnson seahorse 4hp

Post the model number and we can confirm the year.

Check, clean, reset or preferably replace the spark plugs.

Check that both cylinders are firing by disconnecting one plug at a time. Disconnecting one thats not firing will have no effect. You can swap the plugs over and check again to determine if it is a bad plug.

Assuming 1982 is correct
They should be Champion QL86C or L86C gapped at 0.030" (0.7 - 0.8mm) The nearest NGK equivalent is B6HS.

Check that you have a good spark at each plug.
If not inspect the plug leads the coils and the points. If necessary clean or replace the points and set to 0.020" ( 0.5mm) Replace the coils if the insulation is in bad condition.

Check the condensers either by replacing or swapping over. You can do the same with the coils.

A compression test would a good idea. It'll run at 60psi (4 bar) better at 80 psi (5.5 bar)
100psi ( 7 bar ) would be good. Much higher probably means an inaccurate gauge! The two should be within 10% of each other.

It may be as simple as a fouled spark plug.
With both plugs removed but still connected to the plug wire ground the plug to the engine block and then pull the starting rope watching for spark at the plug electrode. if done in low light condition it will be easy to see this. If one sparks and the other doesn't switch the plugs around. If the same wire doesn't spark this time you may have a problem with the coil.
Hopfully a set of new plugs is all you need. :)

thank you for your reply,
I already swaped the plugs each other and
I have already bouth two new plug from champion L86C to NGK B6HS, at the beginning it runs well but then started that problem again. Also when I rise up the prope to max and the engine runs high rpm as my 2.20 dinghy starting to plane, the engine runs very well, maybe for the higher temperature.
Tomorrow I'm gonna start it up again to better see how it runs.
I hope I mustn't disassemble the recoil starter to check the coils and points.

No do not dismantle the recoil starter.

Do not undo the screw in the top of the cover. That is what holds the starter together. If you do the spring will leap out like an Italian man chasing a pretty lady. Remove the cover complete with starter.

To get to the points and the coils etc you will need a puller to remove the flywheel.

Ok, unfortunately I know what happen when you undo that screw...
I'm going to check all those things during this week.
thank you very much for your help

(Regular Magneto Coils - Continuity Test)
(J. Reeves)

Checking the continuity of the ignition coils....... Have the ohm meter set to High Ohms.
Remove the primary wire from points. Remove the coil ground wire. You do not want either of these wires touching anything.

Connect the black lead of a ohm meter to the spark plug boot terminal, then with the red ohm meter lead, touch the ground wire of the coil.

Then touch (still with the red lead) the primary wire. You should get a reading on both touches (contacts). If not, check the spring terminal inside the rubber boots of the spark plug wire.

If there is no continuity between the secondary circuit (spark plug) wire and the primary or ground, remove the coil from the armature plate, then check the continuity directly between the prong within the coil (prong that the plug wire connects to) and the primary and ground. Poor or no continuity of a coil (or plug wire) is one reason for weak spark, s/plug fouling, or no spark.

(Magneto Coils Failing/Burning)
(J. Reeves)

The only reasons coils on a magneto ignition system would burn up every so often is that somehow there is a low amount of battery voltage being applied to them, or they are not aligned properly.

Whatever accessories that may be used, do not run their ground wire to the black wire or black/yellow wire ("M" Terminals) on the ignition switch, push button switch, whatever as those black wire leads to the primary circuit of the ignition coil(s).

Voltage TO any accessory also contains voltage FROM the accessory in its ground wire to complete the circuit. Have a fuse panel set up, or run those accessory ground wires directly to the negative terminal of the battery to keep those voltages away from the magneto system.

If no accessories exist but a ignition switch is being used, the switch may be faulty and allowing a small amount of voltage to travel from either the "B" or "A" terminal of the switch to one of the "M" terminals. That can be checked with a volt meter set to the lowest voltage setting.

If there are no accessories and no ignition switch, I'd suspect that the coils out of alignment. Have the metal vertical portion of the coil yokes aligned with the inside edge of the bevel that exists on the top portion of the aluminum seat upon which the coils sit, creating the proper distance between the coils and the flywheel magnets. Faulty alignment creats friction and the yokes of the coils heat up, turn blue usually, and expand.

(Magneto Coil Alignment)
(J. Reeves)

To align the coils properly, have the metal vertical portion of the coil yokes aligned with the inside edge of the bevel that exists on the top portion of the aluminum seat upon which the coils sit. This creates the proper distance between the coils and the flywheel magnets. Faulty alignment creats friction and the yokes of the coils heat up, turn blue and expand.

Back