Logo

1987 50hp force engine wont plane out no power (new member)(new boat owner)

daddydec21

hey every one new to the site and to boats.. well i used to be a mechanic for cars but not boats so any way my boat i just bought the guy said ran but needed a floor got it all done and took it out when had wot it ran slowly but would not plane evently once in a while you could feel it start to take off then stop and just and just rode in the water and missed put 2 new plugs in it cleaned the carb changed the diaprahm in the fuel pump new lines new tank new primer (primer stays full never lose pressure) so i check the points one was at 50 the other at 5 so i set them both at 20 and took it in the water now no miss but still wont take off just rides in the water slowly and seems like slows down a hair when riding for a while. when wot it seems to bog down but stays running and when your idling and go to put it in gear it like clunks and and go's but its like theirs not rpms then when you give it gas theirs the rpm s and feels like it is going into gear hard but runs and if you gradually put it into gear it shuts off but if you throw it into gear quick it starts f slow picks up very little speed and stays there there is 120psi in both cylinders im lost any help would greatly be appreciated

Re: 87 50hp force engine wont plane out no power (new member)(new boat owner)

Check fuel pump diaphram.Then look in the reeds.J

Re: 87 50hp force engine wont plane out no power (new member)(new boat owner)

You probally dont have the friggin exhaust snout on it do you? that explains you r speed...the prop is getting all the exhaust and cant push against the water....look on the bottom of the foot and check to see if you have a grey long thing on there...if you dont and have a long hole with two bolts one at each end then its gone. Make one or hunt...they dont make them anymore so be ready to snatch one up if you can find it. Other wise your outboard is useless...pm me if you cant find one and I will make one for ya...but being out of steel it aint cheap, nor will it be a anode any longer. But at least your boat will go then...

Back