Logo

1958 5.5hp Outboard CD-15 question

I have the same engine. I am having a problem understanding how the recoil assembly works. I have checked the parts diagrams provided by marineengine.com, (Thank You for sharing), I am not missing any parts.

Background: My Father and I both work in machine repair, him 40 years, me 10 years. Him nor I have ever had a problem we couldn't fix, or understand!!! Until now.

Question: How does the Pawl engage the Flywheel after it has been reset? What moves the Pawl to engage the Flywheel after being reset?

I have exhausted all scenarios, now I am officially confused. Please Help me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Have a wonderful day.

vern
Michigan

Diagram specific to topic @

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/v...ntage-evinrude-johnson/377511/37751100001.htm

*Page 4* in Catalog.

Last edited:
The spindle in the middle is stationary.--------------The thin wire thing sits in the groove and operates with friction.-------------It pulls the pawl into position both ways ( engage and disengage )--------------No lubrication needed on the thin wire #19.-------Elegantly simple , like most things on an outboard.

The spindle normally has a small pin that sits in a small hole in the starter housing. Perhaps the pin is missing?

Thanks for the help.

I'm not seeing any small pin, nor a small hole where the pin would be placed.

My spindle is moving with the starter pulley. I am going to disassemble / reassemble. I will let you know what happens.

Thanks again
vern

I have an original gas tank for the 1958 CD-15 and need to replace the o rings on the fule line connector. Does anyone know how to remove the brass retainer that holds the insides of the connector in place?

Well, you can remove the o-ring by pushing the plunger in with say a tooth pick.-------Then pull the o-ring out.----------While plunger is depressed work in a new o-ring.-------Or if you don,t like that way go to ----------aomci ------------website -----and post there to buy a special tool to take the whole thing apart.

Back