Logo

Installing Nissan 9.8 Lower End Problem

puravida

I'm having a newbie problem. After eight years I figured it was time to replace the impeller and lower unit oil.
I had some trouble getting the lower end off but finally it came off. To my surprise the impeller was perfect as was the oil.
I replaced the impeller & housing etc. and tried to get it back on. The shift rod seems to be three inches too long. Some other poster mentioned that he pulled out the shift lever (which happened to me, now it's loose). The problem is that because of the bend in the shift rod I cant' get the bend past the white bushing that's bolted on the the lower end. The shift rod can move down to the bend .
Any suggestions on how to proceed? How should the shift rod be in relation to the mount on the lower end?(Yes I'm trying to get a manual, in the meantime..)
Thanks,
Jim

You really need a Factory service manual (not an aftermarket manual) (available at any dealer). At a minimum, look at the parts catalog on Elvin's site at http://www.internetoutboards.com/PartsCatalogMenu.htm

The rod is pinned to the "wedge" cam, which in turn operates the clutch dog via the push rod assembly inside the prop shaft. If you pull he bolt that retains the shift rod bushing, then pop outtyhe bushing, you may be able to see how to orient the cam.

I've figured it out. The linkage clutch cam angled edge has to be facing the prop. The white bushing goes up past the angle in the lower linkage, on mine it had slipped down past the angle. Regards and thanks!

Back