Logo

2001 115hp Evinrude Fitch high RPM Problem

capecoop

Contributing Member
I have a 2001 115 Fitch which I purchased at the end of last season. The problem I have is that over 4K RPM the motor will run for a few minutes then shut down, sputtering to a stall most of the time. After a few attempts the motor will start back up and run fine under 4K. This motor only has 150 hours and just had the plugs changed, fuel filter...at the dealer fuel pressue is good no alarms or codes on engine. Took it out agian and bypassed fuel tank with portable tank. Ran at 5200 RPM for about two minutes then loss all power came to a stall and took about 5 minutes to restart. Again can run around 3,500 rpm no problem...no warning or alarms. Thinking fuel pump but dealer is telling me unlikley since it runs fine at mid range. Today they advised that the TPS sensor was being tied up by the throttle cable (wrapped up). They adjusted this and now it needs a water test to see if this was the fix. Do you think th eTPS would cause this type of problem? Thanks

Last edited:
Re: 115 Evinrude Fitch high RPM Problem

Let us know what happens after a GOOD water test. If the tps wasn't going threw its full range it could be a problem.

Water test same thing happened? Died at 4k rpm. They ate telling me it could be the computer.

When they tell you it might be the EMM are they hooking up a lap top computer to it and see if they are getting any codes? And if so what are they?

No codes or alarms since this problem started. I went back to the dealer today and they are going to water test it with the laptop hooked up. They think it is electrical and not fuel related. I just bought the boat from the original owner. 150 hrs and they just putted around in it.

Water test tonight shows fuel issue not computer. Either the low pressure or high pressure pump...

Thanks, boat fuel system is good. Tested boat with 6 gallon aux tank and issue still persists. Two hour water test shows fuel issue in motor. Just waiting in line at the dealer so they can take the air box off and see if its the high/low pressure fuel pump....taking forever!

Here is the latest, fuel flow test shows bad high pressure pump which will be replaced but also shows bad fuel rail. Leaking gas which could cause a fire and I guess has caused fires on the larger engines. Dealer is telling me that these parts are basically out of stock on the larger motors and they are trying to find one for this motor???

Was just told by evinrude that this is a major problem due to the e-gas. They are designing a new product that will be available mid-July! My dealer is searching for a replacment part through a contact at the factory for my engine buy evinrude is advising to wait for the new design since this issue has caused explosions and fires in the injectors. Has anyone else heard of this. There goes my 4th of July vacation!

Fuel Rails still not available. I was told they have been produced but are now being tested.....very frustrating.

Ok now its mid September and they finally design the new product and ship them to over 150 customers...my dealer is installing and at the same time the product gets recalled! They are allready reporting that they are failing and leaking. This is after BRP advised the long wait was due to testing. I have had a lot of engine issues but nothing like this before. This company is not capable of supplying at $200 dollar part that works for their customers. Pretty sad.

Back